How can I find the right washers ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a deck mounted bridge style tap ...the sort that is flush to the deck taps either side. and has a swivel arm. It is probably 20 years old but the chrome is perfect and irks me to replace this for the sake of some washers which for the life of me I cannot locate. No maker's name.
When I take the arm out, I see there should be three different sized O rings.
The only one that hadn't worn out was the bottom small one and that had a flat edge (which I had thought was down to wear).
I replaced the two others with appropriately sized round cross-section O rings but after a brief remission it is now leaking chronically presumably because looking at it again, the type of O ring required would have to have a flattened exterior edge (or possibly both edges)so the arm would seat properly. My plumber doesn't want to know because he can see it more trouble than it is worth. Fair enough. Maybe it is.
Is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction?
It is particularly frustrating as the current one has a longer reach than the standard 180 mm (hours spent looking) it is also slightly higher from spout top deck than seems standard now.
THANKS anyone who can be bothered to read this!

Sponsored Links
O rings dont usually have flat edges in cross section they are usually circular
it may have compressed to be flat.

You can buy boxes with numerous sizes and should be able to get one to fit.
A good hardware trade type place should be able to help ...take the old ones in!

Thanks...but the rings I bought DO fit perfectly BUT the thing is I can see from photos of very similar appliances that the arm should push down to be flush with the lower half of the apparatus. The O rings make that impossible, so what happens is that the ring sits between the top and bottom section (which worked for a bit!) but clearly isn't right.
I long to see a diagram of how the arm fits into the base of similar taps ...but look as I will I cannot find that sort of visual description which might give me a clue. The O rings I have are not unduyl fat...normal size.
Certainly I have wasted too much time looking, but nothing new is designed so perfectly for the space. Seems maddening not to be able to mend a perfectly well-made piece of hardware with chrome as good as new!

Thanks anyway

Just found this! Not that it helps except I would be pretty sure this is what I need...but clearly it would take for ever and be very expensive to find them and the right sizes (unless one was ordering commercially). I guess my plumber was right ...best to cut ones losses. I would like to know how the modern ones are constructed in the out-of-sight area!
However if anyone know where I can find a selection of square rings...do let me know. THANKS again

Square-Rings
wpe1.jpg (5712 bytes)

WHAT IS A SQUARE RING?

A Square-Ring is a sealing device made in the form of a torus, with a square shaped cross-section. It is available in a variety of elastomeric and thermoplastic materials. In most static applications, it is a direct replacement for an O-ring and generally will perform a high presure gasketing function as well as or better than an O-ring.

- Interchangeable with O-rings size for size (Standard AS568A sizes)
- Uses same groove as O-ring
- Can be used for radial seals
- Material is homogenous, no joints, no laminations
- Edges accurately formed
- Close tolerances held on cross-sectin, I.D. and O.D.
- Controlled surface smoothness, hardness, elasticity, toxicity, texture
- The modern, economical option for static applications
- Available in many compounds (readily available in Buna-N)

Sponsored Links
Thanks...but the rings I bought DO fit perfectly BUT the thing is I can see from photos of very similar appliances that the arm should push down to be flush with the lower half of the apparatus. The O rings make that impossible,

Thanks anyway

Well then they are not the right size !!!, its not just the outer dia, or inner but the dia of the cross section as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back