How can I lock my UPVC window without a key?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by ScottishBlossom16, 27 Oct 2008.

1. ScottishBlossom16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've UPVC windows on the first floor of our house that were installed ten years ago. At the time, the installer told us that he'd forgotten to bring some keys and would post them to us. Unfortunately we didn't follow this up. Now I'm expecting a baby and anxious that I can't lock the windows of her bedroom as I've no keys. It's still a way yet before this becomes a real problem but can anyone advise me what to do? I can't afford to replace the window. The company was Forth Windows. I can't see them on the Internet so assume that the firm is no more.

Thanks to anyone that reads this!

2. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    photo of the handle please.

quite likely it is by some common manufacturer. If not you can probably buy a compatible one that will fit, or you can take off a handle and take it into a locksmith who can find a matching key or change the cylinder. The locks are not usually complicated or high security.

you can also buy a Window Limiter which enables you to partially open the window without the sprog being able to climb out.

3. Symptoms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Blossom - you could always add purpose-made surface mounted window lock, something like this:
    or fit a locking stay (as per JohnD's suggestion), something like this:

You can get this type of stuff from B&Q and similar sheds, or from www.screwfix.com or www.IronmongeryDirect.com and many others. Also available from these places are replacement locking handles; your old ones are likely to held by a couple of screws (hidden below very obvious cover plugs) which you remove & swap the handles.

4. hsabbers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey Symtoms... that second picture of a stay/limiter -- where's it from? I need something *just* like that, but cannot find them on Screwfix/IronMongerydirect or B&Q. What's the stock name for these things?

Harry.

5. HandyHands

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The cylinders used in these locking handles use common keys, so a locksmith should be able to identify the required key and obtain a set for you. Either take the handle into a locksmith, or pay to have one come out to you. Cheaper than buying/fitting replacement handles or limiters - unless they are specifically required.

6. Symptoms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. hsabbers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Symptoms.