how can i save my emails from googles website

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone i have a bit of a problem i am with sky for my tely and my broadband but they are talking of a 50% increase in the monthy charge which i think is a lot all my emails are through google and i have to accsess them with passwords etc so none are actually saved to my hard drive
What i would like to know how can i save all my emails perhaps as a zip file either to my hard drive or a cd once i have got them on screen they are all readable , i have tried right click and tried to send to but it only allows sending to blog or something,
you see if i decide in the near furure to leave sky all my emails will be lost to me so it looks like it may be a ploy by sky to keep you as a customer
when i was with outlook emails were saved on my computer,
by the way i am using vista as a opperating system
all help appreciated

mick

Sponsored Links
hi mick

given that your email account is google based you will lose noting by switching away from sky. your google messages are stored on the gmail servers and are independent of any ISPs.

gmail is great- i have used it to power several email accounts (invisibly) in the past by changing mx records and also by getting google to forward mails.

if you want a copy of your gmail messages on your pc then set up a new account in outlook or what ever email client program that you use.

post back for more advice if needed

in googlemail go to -settings- forwarding and pop and scroll down. you will see settings for pop configuration instructions. This will show you how to set up outlook or the free email client (windows mail) in vista

you can select if you want copies to be left at gmail or not.

The only time that you might lose email accounts is when your email address is something like [email protected]

hi many thanks for the promt reply i do have an email account with hotmail and also with yahoo so can i get my emails from google with hotmail if i do move from sky ??? i will try to set up another using outlook express, and as you say about using your name as an email this i do with sky, i use my sir name with my first name first letter on the end before the @ so will that cause any problems
hope this all makes sense

thanks mick

Sponsored Links
You might lose your [email protected] email address. You normally do when you leave an ISP but they may let you pay a reduced amount to keep the email address only. Phone to check. AOL, for eg., used to charge but now they let you keep the address.

Why not register your own email address , eg [email protected]

if it is available it will cost you from 2.69 pa but is yours for as long as you pay for it. Go to http://www.123-reg.co.uk to see if the bit after the @ is available. If your surname is common you might need to amend it a bit eg if you wanted smith.co.uk then try smithmail.co.uk or contactsmith.co.uk as smith.co.uk would have gone years ago.

Your hotmail/yahoo/gmail accounts are all safe. Most of them support email forwarding so you can forward to any other acc you want to, or download then to outlook

Outlook express has been replaced in vista by windows mail. I personally like my gmail to come through to outlook but to also keep a copy on the gmail servers so that I can access them via the internet when away from my pc.

hi thank you very much you have been a great help its all down to every man to his job, and i give advice on the gas and heating section as long as it within the law to do so

thankls again mick

Are you saying that Sky are going to increase the cost of TV& broadband by 50% ?

Or are you referring to this where the broadband will increase by £5 if you do not subscribe to the phone package?

Even if your on the MAX, it's still cheap. :D

Isn't the sky mail accessable from the gmail pages too?

On your sky mail account settings page youll see a tab for forwading on that page are instructions to connect and receive emails to mail clients such as outlook or outlook express and other mail clients
if you already have done this then on that same page it allows you to select an option to forward all emails or emails received after todays date etc, It may take some time to download all your mail if you have hundreds of them on Gmail though.

I have over 66200 (and increasing by the minute) emails in my gmail inbox, methinks it will take me quite a while to download them with pop :D

I would go to this page, for information on pop downloading from gmail.

Not too sure if its the same for sky?

Whilst this is slightly off topic- the great thing about gmail is that they let you have the option of using alternative port numbers. This means that if you end up going with an isp such as Orange you will not be forced to use an orange smtp (outgoing) mail server (orange block the standard port-25- for non orange servers). Gmail will allow you to use a gmail smtp server on a different port (not blocked by orange). This means that you do not have to open an orange email account.

i do have an email account with hotmail and also with yahoo so can i get my emails from google with hotmail if i do move from sky ???

hope this all makes sense

Not really; google are like hotmail i.e. an independent provider of web-based mail. You do not need a sky internet connection to access your google mail. There is no point moving all your google mails to hotmail because the two companies operate in exactly the same way!

If your logic is that cancelling sky will cancel your google, then it would also cancel your hotmail and your yahoo. You know this is not true in the case of yahoo and hotmail.. please accept assurances that it is also not true for google mail

Though it is true that if you do not have an internet conenction at all at home you will not be able to access your emails at home, regardless of whether they are on yahoo, hotmail or google

Sponsored Links
Back