How can I tell if outside wall is pebble- or render-dash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into our house 4 years ago, it has what looks like pebble-dash on the outer walls. However, looking through these forums I see that there is also something similar called render-dash? How can I tell the difference? Also, what does rendering look like? What is on our walls has a grey base with stone chippings applied, you wouldn't call them "pebbles".

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I believe (someone else will confirm), one uses actual pebbles and other uses globs of render fired out of a gun. The latter was popular in some countries I lived in like Jamaica, as well as all things concrete and tinted windows, using the same one way mirror film to cheaply tint cars.

Personally I think both pebble and render dash look terrible. But somehow you it doesn't look so bad if the weather is nice. UK weather, best pressure wash it every now and then.

It can also be use to try and stop fly posting.

Sponsored Links
Pebble dash usually refers to a round stone and can be small or large, as apposed to the sharper aggregate used on many houses.
Never jet wash the walls as the pressure is far greater than rain fall and can penetrate the walls causing damp or render failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back