How can i wire PIR to light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im trying to wire a pir to a light and it doesnt seem to work... attached is a picture of the pir wiring, the grey cable on the right (or top as the picture needs flipping) has the live wire the grey cable on the left (bottom) goes to the light.

any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Do you have instructions for the PIR? What is it's make/model number? Where does the incoming cable come from?

Kind Regards, John

Hello John, here is the instructions http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_426718.pdf
the live wire is coming down from the ceiling where a standard pull cord light switch was. ... so I can easily wire the mains into the unit the bit I don't understand is where does the neutral wire go from the wire running to the light?
Thanks. The two neutrals should be both be connected to the 'N' terminal of the PIR, as you seem to have done with the two black conductors.

HOWEVER, I suspect that you do not actually have a neutral, since there will not usually be a neutral available at a light switch. What have you connected the black conductor to at the switch - the other side of the switch? If so, that will not work - you will have to find a neutral feed from somewhere, probably at a light fitting or ceiling rose (where a live feed might well also be available).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Were both of those two cable originally connected to the pull switch, or have you added one?

Do you have a multimeter?

I think I understand but I cant see any other wires and I obviously don't want the sensor next to the light, is there no other way of doing this?

I think I understand but I cant see any other wires and I obviously don't want the sensor next to the light, is there no other way of doing this?
You must get a neutral, as well as live, feed for the PIR. As I said, it's pretty unlikely that will be a neutral available at the light switch, so you'll probably have to re-route that cable so that it comes from a light fitting or ceiling rose, rather than from the light switch.

Kind Regards, John

If this set-up was taken from the original pull-cord switch, how was that wired?
It looks very much like you have no neutral at the PIR, without this conductor you simple are not going to get this to work.

My guess is that the red connected to Live in the three way block is the Switched Live to the lamp. The other red, connected to the two way block is the incoming LIve supply.

Since the contact in the PIR will be open until it has power the Live from the PIR's LIve terminal is not going to be Live hence the PIR cannot operate.

Try exchanging the reds.

My guess is that the red connected to Live in the three way block is the Switched Live to the lamp. The other red, connected to the two way block is the incoming LIve supply. ... Since the contact in the PIR will be open until it has power the Live from the PIR's LIve terminal is not going to be Live hence the PIR cannot operate. ... Try exchanging the reds.
That's all assuming that the incoming black is actually a neutral - which is far from certain and I would personally think pretty unlikely.

Kind Regards, John

If the blacks are not Neutral then what are they ?

If one cable [X] is Live and Switched Live from a ceiling rose with looped neutral then the question is where does the other cable [Y] go to ?

[a] Y could be Live and Switched Live to another switch, Two switches in parallel

Y could be strappers to another switch which has a Live feed to it's Common. In which case one wire in X is not needed.

Perhaps the OP can tell us how the pull switch ( now refitted ? ) has been wired. It could be a double pole switch if all 4 wires are connected to it with both Live and Neutral being switched.

If the blacks are not Neutral then what are they ?
The question relates to the black coming from the ceiling pull switch (along with what is probably a permanent live in the red). It may be connected to nothing or, I would suspect more likely, may be connected to the switched side of the light switch - in that case, if it is an SP switch, when the switch was on, both red and black from the switch would be at 230V, so no surprise that nothing worked. However, that's all pure speculation.
If one cable [X] is Live and Switched Live from a ceiling rose with looped neutral ....
Despite questions and comments, there has been no mention of a ceiling rose.
Perhaps the OP can tell us how the pull switch ( now refitted ? ) has been wired. It could be a double pole switch if all 4 wires are connected to it with both Live and Neutral being switched.
That's possible. As has been said by others, we really need to know where those two cables come from and see photos of what is going on at the other ends of them.

Kind Regards, John

Is not the black linking the two sides of the unit the factory fitted link described in the instructions?

But we do need further information in order to help the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back