How can you achieve a Santa Fe style stucco effect?

Sponsored Links
Try posting this in the Painting section, we have some good pro painter over there ;)

I have done the same as the picture, emulsion the wall background colour of your choice then let it dry, then another difference colour painted over the rag roll with a cloth slightly damp, wait from the pro painter for a better answer!

I did this effect about 10 years ago (green) it looked good I was V pleased with it. (All materials from B+Q)
In my new house I wanted to do the same again in the dinning room, but it appears not to be fashionable anymore & I couldn’t buy the materials.

Sponsored Links
Try posting this in the Painting section, we have some good pro painter over there

Sorry about that; thanks for all the advice. Would it work with just regular paint or should I wait until I'm in the UK to pick up some 'scumble' (what a great word, never heard it before)

It's not really my thing (I've only done it the once before). But I think you paint on a regular base coat of emulsion then give it a coat of a special effects glaze (tinted to your colour). Paint a small area then distress it with a rag to get the desired finish, the move onto the next area.

The picture you posted up looks to me very much like colour washing...which is quiet easy and good fun to do after a bit of practice.

Roughly...give the walls a base colour...then using a water based scumble glaze mix...colour wash over the top...use a roller sleeve in a randon pattern manner...in different directions..

You will have to work fast though...and dont attempt it if its too warm...the edge will dry off to fast..try using oil based undercaot as a base

I did quite a bit of it in the 80s and 90s, when it was all the craze, and I even did it with ordinary emulsion, and it was okay.

You can use a sea sponge, or a J cloth, and I have used a black bin liner, that had quite an unusual effect, but still did the job okay.

I did what Zampa said, but some times didnt use the glaze, just used a different colour emulsion on top.

spice said:
I did quite a bit of it in the 80s and 90s, when it was all the craze, and I even did it with ordinary emulsion, and it was okay.

You can use a sea sponge, or a J cloth, and I have used a black bin liner, that had quite an unusual effect, but still did the job okay.

I did what Zampa said, but some times didnt use the glaze, just used a different colour emulsion on top.

Ive done it with emul before..its ok in some situations...like if you have a good base coat that isnt too permeable and the weather is coldish..but if its warm or high up in a room where all the heat is you can lose the edge really quick...did it once on a ceiling in a shop and it ended up looking like crazy paving..

Still...the customer loved it so i scraped by that time :rolleyes:

biffvernon said:
Best to start off with a lime plaster or even a clay or earth plaseter. Then colour with distemper.

You do get a very authentic effect by using those..but they arnt the most practical of paints to have on the wall what with the dust that coems off when you brush against it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back