How do I access the cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A leak has appeared through my kitchen ceiling which is directly under the back of this toilet/cistern, which appears impenetrable! Anyone know which panels should come out first to access the offending area?
Praying it’s the cistern rather than the waste pipe!

Attachments

• iOS Image - 300712762.jpg
    iOS Image - 300712762.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,237
Sponsored Links
The panel with the push button may pull forward ,and off the cabinet. Some are held in place by springs.
The WC pan will ,most of the time,need to be removed ,or at least pulled forward ,to allow the large panel to be freed off the cabinet. This then allows access to cistern/ flush pipe / supply pipe and waste.

I use a suction cup ,like what is used for holding glass, to pull on those top panels, and to raise the larger panel. Be careful if using any type of lever on edges ,likely to damage the cabinet or panel.

Sponsored Links
The panel with the push button may pull forward ,and off the cabinet. Some are held in place by springs.
The WC pan will ,most of the time,need to be removed ,or at least pulled forward ,to allow the large panel to be freed off the cabinet. This then allows access to cistern/ flush pipe / supply pipe and waste.

Thanks to your advice I'm in, and the leak is at the bottom of the cistern where the flush pipe exits towards the toilet bowl. It's 7 years old and the washer looks OK - though the pipe clearly just pushes up into the joint. No doubt it was the cheapest available when we had the bathroom fitted, so I'm looking for the best long-term/permanent remedy... What's the recommendation: a new/better cistern? (and if so, what should I look out for as I guess there are various specification/pipe fitting sizes)?

Thanks for the ongoing help guys

Is the joint where flush pipe meets the threaded tail of the flush valve leaking ?
If so ,it's only the washer that makes the seal. ( No matter what cistern you buy ,or how much it costs)

I think I follow you, yes the leak is where the flush pipe pushes up into the bottom of the cistern. It pushes into a rubber washer, which is held in place by a plastic ring (photo of the extracted parts below). So perhaps best to give all parts a good cleaning and fit back together - maybe with some Plumbers Mate to help hold it together and watertight? Do yo think I should replace the rubber washer?
iOS Image - 708651277.jpg

That is a rather odd set up. Can you post pics of what this connects to?
The plastic thing looks as though it's split ,the rubber seal looks to be upside down ,and I would expect to see a large plastic nut that compresses the rubber seal ???

After dismantling, I maybe pushed the washer back on the pipe upside down for my photo, but here is the underside of the cistern that it pushes into, and the white plastic part clips in behind it to apply pressure to the washer (white plastic part isn’t broken - I think it’s supposed to be an incomplete circle to enable it to be fitted).
The other end of the flush pipe has a traditional screw thread fixing to the toilet bowl
iOS Image - 2274451844.jpg

Here’s how it’s set up to receive the pipe

Attachments

• iOS Image - 3080221583.jpg
    iOS Image - 3080221583.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 155
Well I haven't come across that type of connection ,so that's a first ,and it's not too impressive a design in my opinion ! would love to see the connection at the WC end , just to satisfy my curiosity !!
If the " female" part of the cistern base is tapered internally ( can't see clarity in pic) then the orientation of the rubber washer would appear to be correct in your last pic.
Do you know what manufacturer makes that cistern ? Gerberit maybe ??

First prize! It is indeed Geberit. The cistern base female element is tapered, and here’s the other end of the pipe that connects to the toilet bowl.
So poor enough design to go buy another cistern, or do you think a clean and some plumbers mate putty will do the trick? Thanks again!
iOS Image - 4294833448.jpg
iOS Image - 1612863606.jpg

Attachments

• iOS Image - 1256307372.jpg
    iOS Image - 1256307372.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 136
Think plumbers mait will be too thick a layer to get the clip back in, LSX might be better here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back