How do I access the cistern?

iOS Image - 3934299512.jpg

Sponsored Links
Apologies for duplicate posts - switching between my phone (for photos) and laptop. Last couple of photos show the joint design for better clarity. So the million dollar question is, if this was your cistern would you clean it up and refit it, or replace the cistern with one that has a more reliable joint design? I don't fancy having to do this too often :cautious:

Have you cleaned it all up ,inspected the seal and tried to put it back together to see if it is watertight ?
Bear in mind that the black seal must not sit on the very end of the pipe ,but the pipe must protrude several mm from the seal. If it still leaks ,I would put a smear of fernox LSX all around the rubber seal ,on the MATING surface where it meets the tapered shape of the cistern.
And Gerberits stuff is poorly designed ,some time back there were air bubbles,appearing by magic, on their flush valve seals and causing them to leak water into the pan from cisterns.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for duplicate posts - switching between my phone (for photos) and laptop. Last couple of photos show the joint design for better clarity. So the million dollar question is, if this was your cistern would you clean it up and refit it, or replace the cistern with one that has a more reliable joint design? I don't fancy having to do this too often :cautious:
It's not just the cistern, if the WC has a thread where the flush pipe meets it ,that's another issue. Most WC pans just have a hole in the ceramic ,and a rubber flush cone marries the flush pipe into it.
Pics of your pans inlet please !!

Looking at the pipe I think there are signs that the rubber seal sat on the pipe 10-15mm from the end.
Looking at the rubber seal & clip in the cistern I don`t see why there would be a gap, would expect the clip to compress the rubber seal ie same as compression joint.

Hah - the plot thickens - I just checked the back of the bowl and the fitter did a weird thing by connecting another length of pipe (perhaps he cut it too short in the first instance) so I only disconnected the first length! Photos from my camera to follow in the next post... (sorry!)

Thanks ,that cleared up that little mystery !! At least you could fit a different manufacturers cistern and flush pipe.

Yes this rubber washer is also gubbed with silicone. I think its time to replace the cistern and pipe with something better along with new rubber... Any recommendations for the best manufacturer or are they all much the same (except Geberit which definitely get a swerve)?

Looking at the pipe I think there are signs that the rubber seal sat on the pipe 10-15mm from the end.
Looking at the rubber seal & clip in the cistern I don`t see why there would be a gap, would expect the clip to compress the rubber seal ie same as compression joint.
Very iffy design JP. The seal has to be pushed upward ,thus compressing ( slightly) and the split ring acts like a circlip ,to keep it in place....Junk !!

Very iffy design JP. The seal has to be pushed upward ,thus compressing ( slightly) and the split ring acts like a circlip ,to keep it in place....Junk !!
Wasn`t a gap on the couple of jobs where I`ve seen this type, infact it was a bit of a pig to get the clip out then back in place due to compressing the rubber, that`s why the picture doesn`t look right to me.

I have long since lost count of how many cisterns I have fitted ,some from known brands ,and some unbranded imports ,never had an issue with any of them ,they are all much the same as each other. But all of them have conventional compression joints on the flush pipe to flush valve ,not that abortion you have old son !!!

Wasn`t a gap on the couple of jobs where I`ve seen this type, infact it was a bit of a pig to get the clip out then back in place due to compressing the rubber, that`s why the picture doesn`t look right to me.
What kept the clip in place on them JP ?

What kept the clip in place on them JP ?
A groove in the housing, you had to insert the rubber cone washer then push the clip against the cone to compress it until the clip sprang out and locked in the groove. Sounds easy enough but not so to get enough pressure whilst leaning over working from above. The manufacture sold the rubber cone and the plastic clips together as spares.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back