How do I add additional coaxial socket s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two coaxial cables, one for Sat and the other for TV, exiting from behind dry lining plasterboard and into a dry liner single back box. I want to terminate the cables into a single plate, 2 coaxail socket and then run cables from there to another coaxial socket at the other end of the room. Cable run is not a problem but how do I ‘jump’ from the existing one to the additional one? There is no room in the fittings I’ve seen to add another cable, do I use a “Y” splitter running one leg to the original and the other to the new location and hide the splitter behind the dryliner box? Is there a difference between TV and Sat sockets, ie can I use a double coaxial socket for both TV and Sat or is there a special socket for Sat? How do the “Pro’s” do it?

Regards

Sponsored Links
satellite must be kept seperate from TV. voltage is carried from the satellite reciever to the LNB on the dish, in order for the LNB to work. This would probably obliterate the TV signal. Fit 2 plates - an "F" screw satellite plate, and a normal TV plate. Its not advisable to use normal push-fit co-ax connectors on satellite cable - the signals are different, and need hi-integrity connections.

Given that the 2 sockets are in the same room, I take it you're not trying to run 2 satellite boxes on the same downlead? It doesn't work like that ;)

Crafty, thanks for the reply, no I'm not trying to run to Sat-boxes, I'm trying to future proof it against the wifes room change arounds !! It means we can move the telly if needed. Can you please clarify how I would extend the cable to the additional location? Or will a single back plate for Sat and one for TV allow me to have an in and an out?

regards

Sponsored Links
It is possible to get y-splitters for normal co-ax cable, but not sure about screw connectors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back