TV socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing a house up and at present there are two coax type cables coming in to the house. One goes into a tv plate which is fine and will be reused. The other cable comes from a satelite dish and i wish to retain it in case i want satelite in future. It went into a small box on the skirting. Do standard coaxial arial face plates work here so I would end up with two matching arial sockets? one for sky and one for tv.

Sponsored Links
If you put in a deep enough back box in the wall you can get a faceplace designed for tv & sat on a single plate. But like I say, you need a deep back box.

Satellite connections use an F connecter which screws in, tv arial connecters commonly use belling lee push in plugs.

If there is a working sat feed get yourself a freesat box from argos. Much easier than fiddling around with dtt reception

If you put in a deep enough back box in the wall you can get a faceplace designed for tv & sat on a single plate. But like I say, you need a deep back box.

Satellite connections use an F connecter which screws in, tv arial connecters commonly use belling lee push in plugs.

If there is a working sat feed get yourself a freesat box from argos. Much easier than fiddling around with dtt reception

And you get more channels as well as HD for free

Well i just wondered if the cables are the same and sky uses a coax cable similiar to tv. And is it ok to wire the sky cable into a tv box. The socket range I have purchased doesn't include sky faceplates, only tv ones. The tv faceplates i have match the connector for the original sky faceplate that was there.

Am i making sense? (first day back at work...)

:)

Sponsored Links
The cable used for satellite TV is a higher quality than the normal low loss coax.
There should be a least an aluminum foil screen around the copper braiding, this must not come into contact with the centre conductor as when you connect it will cause a short circuit.
F type connectors must be used and the belling lee type are not suitable for this.

Well i just wondered if the cables are the same and sky uses a coax cable similiar to tv. And is it ok to wire the sky cable into a tv box. The socket range I have purchased doesn't include sky faceplates, only tv ones. The tv faceplates i have match the connector for the original sky faceplate that was there.

Am i making sense? (first day back at work...)

:)

Can you show us a picture of the old sky faceplate? If it (and your new outlet plates) have a threaded screw-on connection then chance are that they are F connectors and will be fine for satellite use. If they are of the standard push-in variety then they aren't really suitable for satellite, it may or may not work depending on your luck.

just a note SD pic. quality on Freesat is not quite as good as Freeview i run both.

Freesat being used for HD content

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back