How do I estimate costs for a complete restoration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are considering buying a derelict farmhouse and need to do some estimates on costs. As well as replacing every floor, ceiling and wall, we will need to replace the roof, rebuild a gable end and install electrics and plumbing, and landscape the garden.

Are there any tools available on the internet to help estimate these costs? We will be project managing and doing much of the work ourselves.

Thanks, Ossie

Sponsored Links
Ossie said:
Hello,

We are considering buying a derelict farmhouse and need to do some estimates on costs. As well as replacing every floor, ceiling and wall, we will need to replace the roof, rebuild a gable end and install electrics and plumbing, and landscape the garden.

Are there any tools available on the internet to help estimate these costs? We will be project managing and doing much of the work ourselves.

Thanks, Ossie

"Every floor, ceiling and roof". Look in yellow pages under bulldozers, and skip hire :D :LOL:

its very difficult to price a project like yours, even for builders with experience in renovation, as each job throws up individual challenges. but whatever figure you were thinking of..........treble it!

work out your floor area eg 10m x 10 m = 100m² if its 2 floors = 200m²
Multiply this by £500 per sq m = £100,000
Rough guide builders price. Not entirely accurate, other anomalies to take into consideration, but its a start

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. We've done a breakdown of cost and reckon on around £60,000, which is double our original guess! We've made an offer based on this so if it gets accepted I may be back for a lot more advice!!

Thanks again, Ossie

Ossie said:
We will be project managing and doing much of the work ourselves.

Just an observation - Project Management is a trade, a skill, a craft or a profession, just like plumbing, bricklaying, electricianing or dentistry.

So if you've got the skill, experience, training and qualification, there's no reason why you shouldn't make a fair fist of it yourself. But don't be shy to call in a professional dentist/plumber/electrician/project manager if time, cost or quality are important to you.

If you think it's easy, then there's more to it than you think.

On a project like this unless you give it full time work i would get a Project manager in, he will have many contacts and good rates, if you hire a plumber and does not turn up can you get another within 24 hours well they might be able to. If you think you save money doing it yourself yes you will but not as much as you think.

If the work is as extensive as you say it is then it is going to cost you way over £60K.

Take a good builder out there and PAY HIM for his time.

Make it clear to him what you want to know.

It is always cheaper to demolish a very derelict house and start again.

Remember that about a dozen builders will already have looked at this place and if they only have to supply the materials as their labour is free. If they can't see a quid in it - why do you think that you can do what they can't when you have tens of thousands to lay out in labour charges?

joe

i think tawelfryns estimate was more realistic at £100k, i think you'll struggle with just £60k to play with. just furnishing a kitchen can cost £15,000.00

And thats without knowing the size of his farmhouse noseall, and the area he lives etc on prices. I refurbished my home 18 months ago, (end of terrace) complete gut, everything new, 2 bathrooms, en-suite, attic conversion with stairs, and a conservatory, kitchen, rewire, plumbing etc, etc, and I done it for 35k, thats doing all the work myself, with a labourer, took 6 months, it helps me being a bricklayer, and done my apprenticeship with a building contractor (a few moons ago!) 35k plus my wages for 6 months would be 55k, and then a builder would want profit on that as well. So yes I agree with you 60k is cutting it a bit fine for a complete refurbishment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back