How do I get this tap off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The very old tap below has been leaking and we think a new washer might be in order.

However - we can't figure out how to get the tap off. It seems to be built into the actual unit. We have taken the caps off but can't unscrew the screws as they are eroded.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Look underneath in the cupboard and you will see the pipe connections and how the tap is fitted to the sink. Who's turn is it to complete the washing up?
Looks like a new tap is in order.

If its the spout you want to take off put it in the 9 o,clock position and pull it upwards, its only a small ball bearing that holds it in position,

these have quarter turn ceramic discs so no washers.

Washing up is done - just drying.

Thanks for your replies - I would replace it but we are moving out next month so thats one for the landlord. It only started leaking a few weeks ago but its getting worse and driving me mad. I will get hubby to try the 9.00 position when he gets home tonight.

Once again, thanks.
Chris

Sponsored Links
Should really be the landlord's job.

Assuming the leak is the dribble in the photograph and is coming from the spout as normal then:

There is no need to remove the tap or the spout.
Work out it if it the hot or cold which is leaking (or replace both).
Isolate hot and / or cold supplies. (With luck there will be isolation valves with screwdriver slots, one to each pipe under sink. Slot across pipe = off, slot parallel with pipe = on).

Remove covers from taps - the chrome plated discs. These are probably held in with hidden clips. Just prise them out with a thin screwdriver.

Remove screws holding tap heads to body. Usually Phillips or Pozidrive.

Remove tap heads.

Remove cartridges using a spanner on the brass hexagon nearest body of the taps. Hold body to stop tap rotating. If you need to use a second spanner to stop rotation, wrap cloth around taps to prevent damage.

Take Body and tap heads to a good plumbers merchants and ask them to match them for you. Expect to pay between £12 and £20 per cartridge.

Replacement is the reverse of the above.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back