How do I keep gloss paint staying white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I keep gloss paint from discolouring after a few months? is there anything I can add to it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
water-based gloss is less prone to yellowing

Sponsored Links
I agree with that..but the Dulux and Johnstones ones are very good.

Two things send a traditional oil based gloss yellow..heat and lack of light..so make sure you keep the room as light as possible.

I once had a call from someone asking for a price to re-paint the wood work in her back, north facing bedroom..when I got there I noticed the paint, which was sposed to be white was almost like magnolia..I asked how long it had been done, she said she did it herself 6 months previous..something was seriously wrong here...she tool me into another room she had done a month before, the windows had been covered in two layers of newspapers to 'protect the paint'!!

I painted most of the woodwork in the house with Dulux one coat gloss, this is still as white as when I first did it.

The only room I didn't do was the one with the most woodwork, the hall, stairs and landing. For some reason I used Crown, after about 2 months I noticed that the loft hatch was looking a bit yellow compared to the white celing, this gradualy got worse until all of the woodwork took on a yellow tinge as if a heavy smoker had lived in the house, this took only 3 months.

I contacted Crown, who told me it was perfectly normal that gloss will yelllow where there is not much natural sunlight, but couldn't explain why the Dulux I had used under the stairs was still bright white.

The technical dept said I could take the tins back for a full refund and also offered to send somone out to look at the problem with a view to getting it re-painted for me. I declined the offer as they refused to use Dulux :LOL: Did get me money back though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back