how do i know if my outside tap has built in DCV non return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved house and have two outside taps, is there any simple way to check if they have non return valves built into the taps?

thanks
Duff

Sponsored Links
Presumably your are talking about a bog standard garden tap?

You should be able to see in the pipework if there is an NRV fitted (if the pipework is accessable. small fitting with an arrow on it.

Why do you want one fitted to the outside tap anyway? Is it going into a mixer tap?

I highly doubt they have an NRV built into them. I suggest they are simply a compression valve.

Picture?

Didn't know this was part of the water regs to have one fitted prior to the tap or on the tap itself. I assumed it was acceptable to just have your 'hose connector' as an NRV?

Edit: - read up on it, makes sense.

I guess you can try and get the make and search for it. Presumable the double check valves have the screwed inspection port on the bottom where others will not.

Sponsored Links
There is a requirement to have a double check valve on or before an outlet(s) that supply an outside water source, like a hose etc, avoids backflow into the potable cold water supply as per the water regs.

More common these days, outside bib taps do have built in double check valves (DCV), can usually be identified by a white plastic insert that is in the feed side of the tap that screws into the wall plate elbow and some have a test point on them. They're not ideal as they can freeze and an internal DCV would be recommended..

New installations now require the dcv to be internal, due to possibility of freezing as said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back