How Do I know If My Washer's Motor Brushes Are Knackered ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help

- how do I know when my washer motor's brushes need replacing ?

Thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
Usually when the drum stops rotating in my case !

You could take them out to inspect them and see how much life they've got left, but if the machine ain't broke why fix it ?

Thanks for this...

my drum has stopped spinning - the machine just stops doing anything a few minutes into cycle.

I have removed brushes but dont know what I'm looking for. One of the brushes is about 1cm long and the other a bit longer maybe 1.5cm

Can anyone say whether these are ok or not ?

1cm long ? - They are definately knackered ! . :!:

Get yourself some new ones - What machine have you got ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bankrupt

My brother-in-law is a mechanic - he came round yesterday and said the Bosch motor is pretty much the same as a car alternator - he looked at the brushes and confirmed they're knackered. he also reckons there's no damage on the motor but it looks a bit worn so combined with brushes that's probably what's wrong.

I have found replacements on Amazon and ordered - fingers crossed the machine will be ok

cheers

Rod

Good stuff - I'm sure new brushes will solve the problem. .:cool:

If it's a Bosch fitting one of the brushes (with the motor in situ) can be a bit tricky, but I always change them with the motor in situ using a combination of a dentist's type mirror to see what I'm doing and nimble fingers ! . :)

If you would of took your bush's to a washing machine repair shop they would of told you by just looking if the they were to worn.

Also(with the washer turned off) if you put the probes off a meter (set at a continuity reading)on each spade that the bush's came off that would tell you if the motor was gone,as no reading means "knackered"

You can get a re-condition motor from the repair shop and if you take your old one back in exchange they give you discount off the re- condioned one.
Just a bit of advice for future repairs lol.

If you would of took your bush's to a washing machine repair shop they would of told you by just looking if the they were to worn.

Also(with the washer turned off) if you put the probes off a meter (set at a continuity reading)on each spade that the bush's came off that would tell you if the motor was gone,as no reading means "knackered"

You can get a re-condition motor from the repair shop and if you take your old one back in exchange they give you discount off the re- condioned one.
Just a bit of advice for future repairs lol.

Why on earth would you want to remove the motor and get a reconditioned motor just because the brushes had worn down ? . :rolleyes:

No bushes on a washing mc only BRUSHES.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back