how do I know if pressure bar is the black one or red one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please help me as i am a newbie when it comes to gas boiler. There is a red hand on this one like a hand on a clock, then there is black bars also.

When I turned boiler on the red hand moved too near 3 on the boiler.
What is wrong :cry:
From Helen

Sponsored Links
One is for you toove so you know where you set the pressure when cold.so you can check if it's dropping or rising too much.pressure should be 1.5 when cold and when on it will rise to 2 or 2.5 as long as it's not going over 3 and losing pressure there's nothing to worry about.

Simple
RED = NOT GOOD!!!
BLACK = Good
as a rule of thumb it should be on 1 when the boiler is cold, rising to 1.5 -2 when running IF the needle goes over 3 you will hear a "bang-bang-bang" as the Pressure Relief Valve (P.R.V) dumps out the water out, if this occurs it could be the "expansion vessel" may have lost its charge or the internal Diaphram has ruptured, hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back