How do I run a new earth for the lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As insoector says I can't tap into the socket earth circuit for the lighting as against regs, I was considering doing this myself but unsure how much work is involved in getting the earth up to the lighting circuit before I start rewiring.

Presumably I'll have to start at the consumer unit???

Do all the earths at the consumer unit link on the other side of it to the earth rod - i.e. does each separate isolated circuit in the house have a separate earth leakage detection on the circuit breaker that I'll need to run into?

For reg's, does the earth have to be physically run in the same place as the rest of the cabling for that circuit or can I take it upstairs independent as single core earth cable?

Out of interest, if I were to get a spark in, how much mess would be created - i.e. - is it going to screw all the plastering in my house where a light switch is situated or do you guy's have a trick of the trade to get Twin and Earth down where the original 2 core was before?

Sponsored Links
If the cables are in conduit or capped you can often use the old to feed the new. But, occassionally, you may need to chip a bit of plaster away at the top near the ceiling, or near the switch box, if the cable is trapped under the plaster. This can be ascertained by turning power off, removing a switch and tugging gently on the cable. If there is a small movement, it is not trapped.

Is all wiring for lighting in normal house usually in loft and under upstairs floor?

I realise you can't possibly know without viewing a given property but what is the norm with regard to the lighting circuit - would access to the consumer unit downstairs and under upstairs floor and loft be enough to rewire the lighting circuit in most properties (house built in sixties) or would access under floorboards downstairs be required?

- The Mrs is worried as we have tile sand laminates downstairs which would all have to come up to get under the downstairs floorboards.

Sponsored Links
So that you will find ground floor lighting cables in the 1st floor void, and 2nd floor wiring in the loft (assuming you only have a 2 storey property).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back