No earth in lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my neighbours asked me to put up some metal light fittings but I discovered there is no earth. So I refused.I was surprised at the lack of earth because the house is 60's. When did the regs come in for earth in lighting circuits ?

Is a rewire of the lighting circuit the only option ? or is there some method of running a new earth alongside of the 2wire cable which is PVC. The switch boxes would remain un-earthed.

Sponsored Links
You were correct not to install the light fittings if they require an earth. Rewiring the lighting circuit to use these fittings is an option, you could run a earth in alongside the lighting circuit wire but that would be messy - iirc the earth would need to be 4mm unless it is protected against mechanical damage and 2.5mm can be used.
Another option would be to look around for "Class 2" or "Double Insulated" light fittings - should have a square in a square symbol on them.

Spark123, if you put in class II light fittings then the view on a periodic inspection would be an improvement category 2 rather than the 1 that it is at present. which i feel would require improvement. I bow to your greater experience but a class II alround in my opinion is not a correct option.

Thanks - you know some people buy the fitting first and ask afterwards.
I will not be doing the job anyway - just advised them.

But there must be thousands of metal fittings hanging around without being earthed.

Sponsored Links
A circuit without a CPC utilising class 2 fittings would probably warrant a code 2 on a PIR, - requires improvement and a note on the PIR that class 1 fittings must not be used on it.
Utilising class 2 fittings is not going to cause the installation to become dangerous.

Thanks - you know some people buy the fitting first and ask afterwards.
I will not be doing the job anyway - just advised them.

But there must be thousands of metal fittings hanging around without being earthed.

You're probably not wrong that there will be thousands around, however that doesn't make the situation correct. ;)

Sure, i concur, but you know what people are like. A lost PIR and then some poor sod sees a class I fitting in B and Q and screws it up there, line comes out the screw terminal and when yer man gets up to see what is wrong the conductor touches the metal. Changing a category 1 to a 2 seems just a bit short of the mark. :)

I hear what you say, you can't protect people from themselves. The lights etc sold by B&Q normally have an instruction leaflet with the "this item must be earthed" clause in it, might even say that on the fitting too.
You can give a class 2 fitting on a lighting circuit without a CPC a code 1 if you wish. You can give it a code 4 if you wish. You could put a big notice by the consumer unit saying that class 1 fittings must not be installed because.....
A PIR is carried out to compare the system against todays standards. The IEE regs are non-retrospective so as long as the system complies with the regs on the day it was installed then there is nothing forcing the system to be brought up to todays standards.
Imagine the lots of angry customers if you told them their 16th ed CU you fitted 3 months ago needs to be replaced!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back