How do I seal the interior of kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're coming to the end of our kitchen installation. The units are handmade partly from solid tulipwood and partly from oak veneered MDF.

The doors have been painted.

Question is how to seal the inside of the cabinets and shelves. I have some Osmo Polyx hardwax oil left over from a wooden floor and figured this might do the trick. Does anyone have any views on this or on a better solution.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Oil does not always work too well on veneered board, the veneer is so thin and the glue used tends to soak into the veneer and prevent the oil penitrating.

Assuming they are assembled and you don't have spray facilities then a waterbased satin lacquer or varnish will be OK, one of the ones made for floors will be quite durable like Dulux diamondglaze. You will need to rub down between coats particularly the first one.

Jason

Sponsored Links
agree

kitchen cabinet shelves can get quite dirty, and also scratched with hard and heavy objects, plus the occasional leaking bottle or jar, and the need to clean them thoroughly to discourage silverfish, mice, mites etc

so yes, a very hard-wearing impervious surface is needed, and a hard varnish is suitable. My own choice would be for a satin finish as it looks less artificial on a timber veneer.

If you can lift any of the shelves out to treat, do, as it will be easier to get a good finish on all surfaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back