How do i stand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from a long time viewer.

Could anybody tell me how i stand legally?

Got a customer that had some work done.Chased payment by telephone, email and letter and was promised on many occasions that payment would be made.
After a further 2 months( and in view of general economics), asked and gained permission to premises.Made a further call to customer and said that unless payment was immediate i would remove the items which i installed (as per our T&C's.Says all items remain property of , until paid for in full)
Customer now has threatened legal proceddings.

I would be very interested if anybody has any comments.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My solution would involve a baseball bat ,so probably better to ask someone else if you want a legal solution. What's wrong with small claims court ?

Sponsored Links
Waste of time.Got a strong suspicion that hes likely to go belly up

Is he actually living in this property ? I would be tempted to just go and retrieve the goods and deal with the fall out later.

Thats what i have done.I requested and gained access to the property and removed the items that i installed

wheres he then ?
how have you gained entry ? by who ?

you haven't told us how or where.

Hes in the head office.
Asked the manager of the premises where kit was installed

what sort of threat has he made? meaningless bluster? or meaningless bluster in the form of a solicitor's letter?

No solicitors letter.Just co paper.
Hes basically demanded that we reinstall or he will get somebody else in and charges us.
If no response will pursue via other channels( by this i presume legal, rather than baseball bat)

let him get someone in and recharge you.

if he's signed your paperwork agreed your t&c
then your in the clear to remove any part you have fitted and charged for.

remind him, by letter, that he failed to pay his account per the contract and you acted in accordance with the T&Cs. Be brief.

That removes his "if no response" excuse.

If he has a leg to stand on he will involve a solicitor, who will be fully aware of the unpaid supplier's right to remove goods that have not been paid for.

Thanks for the advice.
Sadly i missed the " by date" as was away, but i will try to construct a letter and send by registered post.

Sometimes i bloody hate being self employed( actually most of the time)

if you didn't gain entry by force, you didn't take any money from him and you didn't do any damaged to his property you should be ok

we took back a boiler 10 years ago which the landlady refused to pay for
1st we went to the police to clarify our position
2 we went to property - tenant let us in
3 we took boiler off wall having told tenant that was our intention
4 we left water turned off uncapped!
5 we left gas turned off capped at boiler and disced in meter outlet

got a call a week later from rozzers she had claimed we had stolen the boiler! explained all to plod who said "fair enough if its your property"

3 months later got another call this time she claimed we had stolen her gas meter! WTF would we want with a meter worth less than £30 was my reply invited them round for a look round our house, garage, vehicles and even our own meter cupboard :LOL:
never heard any more

Sponsored Links
Back