How do submersible pumps work?

That is a matter of pressure created by the pump.
Exactly - and to which there is no theoretical limit. What you said about the theoretical maximum of about 33.5 feet of lift (33.5 feet of water being average atmospheric pressure) applies only to 'lift pumps' (since it's then just atmospheric pressure lifting the water), not to 'force pumps' such as we are discussing.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Exactly - and to which there is no theoretical limit. What you said about the theoretical maximum of about 33.5 feet of lift (33.5 feet of water being average atmospheric pressure) applies only to 'lift pumps' (since it's then just atmospheric pressure lifting the water), not to 'force pumps' such as we are discussing.

Correct!

Sponsored Links
add kinetic energy of a rotating mass of liquid to the equations.
That energy will presumably only be manifested as something useful if the rotating liquid hits something (like a 'baffle'), won't it?

Simply having a mass of liquid spinning around continuously within a chamber would not, in itself, achieve anything useful in terms of pumping, no matter how much energy was involved in that spinning, would it?

Kind Regards, John

or the water in the delivery pipe.......
If it were literally just "a rotating mass of liquid" (which is what you mentioned) that would not interact with the water in the delivery pipe - what would interact with it would be the water 'flung out' tangentially towards the delivery pipe.

However, to talk about the kinetic energy of that tangential flow is just another way of talking about the increased pressure due to that ;flinging out', so I don't think what you are saying differs from what we have all been talking about.

On the subject of that tangential movement of water ... I have repeatedly asserted that my pump has no 'scoop' of any sort, which is literally true. However, one thing that I hadn't previously 'taken in' is that the outlet tube is tangential, not radial, to the pump casing. That will certainly help it to 'capture' the water being 'thrown out' - although not to the extent of having much impact on my 'amazement'! ...

upload_2020-8-28_18-13-8.png

Kind Regards, John

However, one thing that I hadn't previously 'taken in' is that the outlet tube is tangential, not radial, to the pump casing. That will certainly help it to 'capture' the water being 'thrown out' - although not to the extent of having much impact on my 'amazement'! ...

There's your scoop :)

There's your scoop :)
Yes, sort-of - which is why I mentioned it when I thought about it.

More generally, I can't help but wonder whether I am alone in being amazed by the fact that what I'm looking at can achieve what it does. Does no-one else feel the same as I do?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back