How do you check a door switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius 1100 washing machine that has stopped mid cycle, just prior to the spin and is tripping the RCD. I understand that the likely culprits on this model are heating element blown, door switch failure or chaffing loom.

I can check for chafing looms and blown elements, but what/how do you check on the door switch? (incidentally the door is unlocked and opens despite it being mid cycle). Is there a way of determining if it's faulty?

Thanks as always for the guidance and advice…..

Sponsored Links
It won't be the door lock, does it still trip on the spin cycle if so you have a worn motor.

It didnt get to the spin cycle....the rcd tripped before it got there, but it was next according to the dial.

once the rcd was reset it just trips the second it is switched back on

Now unplug the motor does it still trip.

Sponsored Links
Ok... had a chance to have a decent look at it.....

First of all I removed the wet washing and drained out the standing water. Closed the door switched it on and amazingly it all worked fine and completed the recycle.

So I put wet washing back in (heavy), reset to a new program, switched on and it tripped within about 20 sec’s

So Washing back out…. Switched back on ….Tripped instantly

Un plugged motor, switched on…. Tripped instantly

Any suggestions?

Your help appreciated!

Unplug the heater. Poss cracked drum surport and shorted heater out with weight on it.

Hmmmm…. Disconnected heater yesterday, switched on and it didn’t trip… so I thought it was solved.

This morning I reconnected the heater to repeat the test before ordering a heater element… and it didn’t trip. With the lid and front off I took the opportunity to rock the drum quite violently but nothing would make it trip.

Could it just have been damp? The machine is in the garage and is used infrequently.

Thanks for your ongoing interest!

Put Water in it with heater connected see if it trips. Water may make it short out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back