How do you know what needs doing each year at a service?

Yes I can remember those days and did it myself usually but modern synthetic oils are vastly superior which is why they are usually good for 10-15k miles and I recently read that a couple of manufacturers in the states are now warranting their synthetics for 25k! Similar story is now going for cam belts, also vastly improved on those of 30 odd years ago with the inclusion of kevlar and other hi-tech materials. Of course if you insult your vehicle by driving it on a wet beach or miles of loose gravel then .........

Well, that sounds a lot like the wood- stain I use on my house: it's warranted for ten years but needs re-doing after three. Can you find the details of the warranty anywhere on the tin, do the retailers know what they are ? No, and i know that it's a waste of time to try and chase it I bet if you try to pursue the oil-warranty , their answer would be that your engine was worn/failing anyway and their oil had nothing to do with it. How do you combat that ?

Sponsored Links
I've heard people in the oil trade say they can test samples of used engine oils and see if they are still fit for further use. Apparently they often are, and for multiples of the usual recommended change cycle.

I've heard people in the oil trade say they can test samples of used engine oils and see if they are still fit for further use. Apparently they often are, and for multiples of the usual recommended change cycle.
Oil samples can be tested fairly easily, but it's generally done for specific reasons like bearing wear etc.

If there is any doubt whether the oik still has life left in it, why wouldn't you change it to he sure

Yes I can remember those days and did it myself usually but modern synthetic oils are vastly superior which is why they are usually good for 10-15k miles and I recently read that a couple of manufacturers in the states are now warranting their synthetics for 25k! Similar story is now going for cam belts, also vastly improved on those of 30 odd years ago with the inclusion of kevlar and other hi-tech materials. Of course if you insult your vehicle by driving it on a wet beach or miles of loose gravel then .........
Well that will prove useful when a UK engine succumbs to premature bearing failure. Sorry, but I smell bullshit. Motorists that ensure that their oil is changed at 5,000 miles intervals will substantially encounter fewer problems than the 10,000+ adherents.

Sponsored Links
The days when "premature" bearing failure are long gone, used to happen back in the '60 -70s and I can recall having new big end shells being replaced regularly but I have not heard of that job being done for many years. Doubt if fitters these days even know how to do it, are you still trying to work out what to do with your 50 year old grease gun chainsaw?

Well that will prove useful when a UK engine succumbs to premature bearing failure. Sorry, but I smell bullshit. Motorists that ensure that their oil is changed at 5,000 miles intervals will substantially encounter fewer problems than the 10,000+ adherents.

Maybe not 'substantially', but the same could be said for reducing the interval to 2,500 mile intervals, but where do you stop? Doing the changes is not without risk, of something else going wrong/being missed in the process. Back in the day, my father had his back axle oil changed, they drained it, but forgot to add any oil - running dry, wrecked the back axle.

What is the cost for testing compared to the cost of an oil change though?

I have never had an engine failure, except when I had a catastrophic oil leak in motion. I have always followed the "12 months or 12000 miles" guide. My oil comes out clear, though I have had used cars where it was obviously neglected and black and I used flushing oil.

Testing only needs doing to identify wear in the engine as for post #34 and to identify what may need changing or overhauling.

Starts at £35 from these people, but just a superficial scan of the info says that is only for soot, water,viscosity but no metals. Metals start at £45 and go up to £ 65.

The days when "premature" bearing failure are long gone, used to happen back in the '60 -70s and I can recall having new big end shells being replaced regularly but I have not heard of that job being done for many years. Doubt if fitters these days even know how to do it, are you still trying to work out what to do with your 50 year old grease gun chainsaw?
You're right. They get written off now instead

Just happened across these two short videos where oil is submitted at 5k,7.5k and 10k intervals to compare results.

- 6mins 40
- 4 mins 30

One comment from the lab that may be of interest to people, is that they say time has no effect on the oil, only usage.

Last edited:
How do you find out what type of service your car needs each year?

The manufacturer's service book, and ensure you know for sure what has been done, never rely on a garage to guess at what needs to be done, keep track of it yourself. I do all my own work, but even so, there is no guarantee that using the manufacturers lists, that everything is listed. My manufacturer's list completely omits the engine breather as ever needing any attention.

If you do less than average miles, things will need more attention than the manufacturer might specify anyway, based on miles covered.

Sponsored Links
Back