How do you know what needs doing each year at a service?

Engine oil must protect against corrosion of engine components. Oxidation of the oil and contamination via condensation and combustion by-products all cause acids within an engine oil. If these acids are allowed to come into contact with engine components, corrosion occurs and premature component failure is the result.

Probably the easiest summary I can find about water and condensation

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with running cold. Now I do from an oil leak in the engine cover. That also means air leak into the engine.
I had a 'one careful lady Ower' car once - I drove it 20 miles home and it broke down. Found out it had been driven about 2 miles twice a day with the choke on all the time she had owned it. 'Regularly' serviced every 6000 miles - at under 50000 miles the engine was completely and utterly F****d through lack of proper treatment and maintenance.

I had a 'one careful lady Ower' car once - I drove it 20 miles home and it broke down. Found out it had been driven about 2 miles twice a day with the choke on all the time she had owned it. 'Regularly' serviced every 6000 miles - at under 50000 miles the engine was completely and utterly F****d through lack of proper treatment and maintenance.
She's not careful enough. My car gets 10 year oil service interval. The interval might have to be shorter once I fix the leak. The oil might be messed up.

If you want to look after the engine:

2 x oil changes a year
2 x oil filter as above
1 x air filter
1 x pollen filter
1 x fuel filter(if your car has it)
sparks changes at every 40k.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you want to look after the engine:

2 x oil changes a year
1 x air filter
1 x pollen filter
1 x fuel filter(if your car has it)
sparks changes at every 40k.
Pollen filter? That’s a new one on me - I’ve only been fitted them to heater/cabin air intake for years. Whereabouts on the engine are they fitted? :rolleyes:

We’ve got a couple of Fords in the household and with both you just get the service portfolio that the garage stamps after each service. Nothing extra printed in the book though that says what Ford recommend.
Look HERE, just put your reg number in, click on the mileage/age and you will see what should be done at a main dealer.

Sponsored Links
Back