How do you know what needs doing each year at a service?

Sponsored Links
If you have a common rail diesel, a fuel filter replacement is recommended every year, according to the trade bulletins from Bosch and Valeo.
When you see the price of the high pressure pumps, it could make sense.
John

Sponsored Links
Yep, dead leaves are the main culprit. I once had to find a water leak on a car that had the cabin filter fitted in the scuttle that had blocked drains. I can’t remember what car it was now but the blockage was so severe it had caused the water level in the scuttle to rise and overspill through the filter into the cabin. It was about 5” deep and you could hear it sloshing about when you drove the car. Customer complained of the leak, ineffective heater blower and windscreen misting!

Last edited:
Yep, dead leaves are the main culprit. I once had to find a water leak on a car that had the cabin filter fitted in the scuttle that had blocked drains. I can’t remember what car it was now but the blockage was so severe it had caused the water level in the scuttle to rise and overspill through the filter into the cabin. It was about 5” deep and you could hear it sloshing about when you drove the car. Customer complained of the leak, ineffective heater blower and windscreen misting!
VW passat B5.
Fixed lots of them for that problem.

A pollen filter can protect the people, but not the engine.

@Londoner2 What sort of car have you got that needs a fuel filter every year
2 oil changes on any cars is best if you keeping a car for some time.
A pollen filter can protect the people, but not the engine.

@Londoner2 What sort of car have you got that needs a fuel filter every year? And 2 oil filters? And plugs every 40k?
I used to have a mondeo 2007 tdci, they were fuel sensitive to fuel so fuel filter change every year.

today i drive a mazada petrol high milege so oil x 2 changes n plugs every 40 k, i just use the 5w30 mannol oil.

What makes you think that the manufacturers recommendation is wrong?

What are you expecting to happen to my 18 year old car?

What makes you think that the manufacturers recommendation is wrong?

What are you expecting to happen to my 18 year old car?
The risk of engine damage due to wear n tear and high oil consumption is higher in older cars, thats why i have 2 oil changes on my 14 year old car.

I used to have a mondeo 2007 tdci, they were fuel sensitive to fuel so fuel filter change every year.

today i drive a mazada petrol high milege so oil x 2 changes n plugs every 40 k, i just use the 5w30 mannol oil.
Oil change is down to how much use the engine gets. Once a year is sufficient for most, unless treated very hard or excess mileage.

Its more critical to use the correct oil type though.

Sponsored Links
Back