How do you replace the brush strips on double glazed doors???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you remove that brush pile sealing strip from double glazed doors?

I have some Bi fold doors that are a few years old and letting in the draughty cold and I’ve noticed that the brush pile strips have become quite flat and so don’t work as well. I see you can buy replacements strips with a hard back to go in the tracks they fit in.

I am replacing the rubber strips as they are also a bit worn but they are fairly easy to get in and out, whereas the brush strips although flattened are still solidly in place. I’m sure if I get rough enough they would come out but they are not coming out in any easy way for me, is there a trick to it?

I’m not keen to start ripping them out until I have got one out to check the sizing and ensure I can get a suitable replacement.

Also if they are so hard to get out, how do you get the new ones into the track, again is there a trick?

I’d appreciate any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
Bifold doors I had many years ago required the doors to be taken off so new draughtproofing could be slid in from the top/bottom.
They were quite a tight fit to stop them from dropping down when the doors were re-instated.

Drill a hole as close to the end as poss but not right through, just enough to cut through the hard plastic backing, you may need to drill 2 holes together then slide the old out and new in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back