How Does a neon screwdriver work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I hope I wasn't as poorly understood by everyone.

No, its not being misunderstood.

On this forum there are some pet hates - these include:
  • Downlights
    People who remove lights or switches without noting where the wires go
    Neon screwdrivers
    etc

The mere mention of any of these will produce an avalanche of snide comments and derision. Don't take it personally, its not just you - do a search on any of the above subjects and you'll soon spot a trend.

;)

Not sure I would have advertised that amount of stupidity. I take it you don't do electrical work for a living.

Ah yes I completely forgot that the most intelligent way to test something is to find the prevailing opinion of a group of net forum users rather than test it myself and come to a conclusion. What was I thinking.

No actually the most intelligent way to test something, in this case whether a cable is live, is to use the correct equipment and follow the safe isolation procedure.
In your statement you failed to show evidence of either.

I used one to 'check' some 1.5mm T+E wires in the void above the bathroom ceiling........lit up when I put it near the cut ends. So I isolated the power at the CU, and traced the wires back - completely unconnected to anything and just pulled away in my hand.

Are you sure that was a neon? More likely the non-contact type which does not use a neon lamp. If it was a neon then you have some serious electric fields in that loft. Are you building an anti-gravity space craft up there?

Sponsored Links
Sparkticus you are correct, it's one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGIC-TESTER-Multi-Test-Screwdriver-Cable-Fuses-/120745836147

The instruction book advises the user that putting it near a socket is a reliable indicator of whether said socket is live or not.

Taylortwocities - yes I noticed the trend. Seems some people are so eager to jump on any mention of one they shoot at someone who's actually even agreeing with their view on it.

Riveralt. But my dear fellow I wasn't testing whether the cable was live or not, as I had planned to remove it under isolated conditions regardless. I was testing the screwdriver. I apologize if this was not completely and blatently obvious.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I hope I wasn't as poorly understood by everyone.

No, its not being misunderstood.

On this forum there are some pet hates - these include:
  • Downlights
    People who remove lights or switches without noting where the wires go
    Neon screwdrivers
    etc

plug top
ring main...

My pet hates include:
fuse board (when referring to an MCB CU)
trip switch...
Anyone else care to add theirs?

Thank you all, this has been an excellent response, though I am slightly worried about Bernard Greens' thoughts; and I am a little concerned that nobody mentioned that you should avoid touching an earthed conductor whilst using one!

But putting these things aside we are all in agreement that firstly, given the right conditions neon screwdrivers do actually work.

Secondly, under the correct supervision by you as time served men, they could be used to teach an apprentice to have respect for the 'power' that he/she is going to be dealing with during his/her career.

Anyone else care to add theirs?
The belief that plasterers sharpen their floats such that the mere touch will slice into TW&E.

PV installations to recover the FIT.

240/220V autotransformers that are alleged to save 10% of your electricity bill.

"done me 17th"

"house bashin"

"I am competent"

"shower cable"

"cooker cable"

"would change it myself but not allowed now under part P"

"its just a bit of bondin"

"lecky"

"part P qualified"

"part P for kitchens & bathrooms"

"32 amps of electricity!

"KVA is the same as amps"

No sleeving on CPCs
No sleeving on switched live
No L1,L2,L3 identification
Anyone who does not have at least a basic grasp of science

Page down for the next 10,00000 :LOL:

The regs say 2.5mm so you cannot use 4mm.

As you haven't got an RCD the electrics are dangerous.

( they apparently weren't dangerous when the same "electrician" installed the system for the previous owner of the house and before RCDs became known about ).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGIC-TESTER-Multi-Test-Screwdriver-Cable-Fuses-/120745836147
An accurate description of the technology employed.

sooty_wand_large.jpg

:LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back