How does this hose clamp work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to undo two of these hose clamps (on the air intake from the turbo) to get to an oil leak. I am too thick to understand how to undo them. Can someone explain or point me at a video please. They don't appear to be what I would consider to be "normal" jubilee clips with worm screw to tighten/loosen..

(The car is a Jeep Renegade with a 1.4 Turbo multiair petrol engine, but I presume that isn't important).

Thanks.

IntakeClamp1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like clic r clips from what I can see.

Many youtube videos. There are special clic pliers to open and then close them, but not essential once you understand how they work.

Need to be pulled tight and then the outer bent part clicks over the inner one to tighten. To release they need pulling tighter and then lifting over the inner part.

Easy to do. Difficult to explain

You will need to ease that C shaped clamp off first, then open up the the crimped up flat strip under it. You will then need to source a jubilee clip, with which to replace it.

Perils of a tiny screen chaps - but is that the same as a CV boot clip? I have the proper setting tool but joiners pincers will do (at a pinch :sick:)
Sometimes there just isn't enough room to get the jubilee worm screw in.
They are reusable but better to use new, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. They're not Clic R type, I've seen all the videos on them. After much random googling, it turns out that they're Caillau VISA E clamps. Single use, crimp-together things using (of course...) a special tool.

The bit I pictured isn't the crimp bit, which I can't easily get to, it's some sort of spring that's designed to keep constant pressure during heat expansion/contraction. What I'd now like to know is, if I massacre that spring in the picture with a pair of tin snips, will the whole clamp then come off? Any ideas? If that won't do it, then I'm not sure how to get to the actual crimped part as I assume it was crimped in the factory by some sort of robot before the rest of the engine was put together. Properly annoying it is. If they'd just used jubilee clips it'd be so much easier to undo.

The bit I pictured isn't the crimp bit, which I can't easily get to, it's some sort of spring that's designed to keep constant pressure during heat expansion/contraction. What I'd now like to know is, if I massacre that spring in the picture with a pair of tin snips, will the whole clamp then come off? Any ideas?

Yes! Release the spring, which will then probably remove the tension around the entire clip. That should then allow you to remove the hose and take the clamp off. Failing that, once the spring is removed, you may need to then cut the band.

Back