How easy for an amateur to repair/replace this lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the below pictured lock that has started to play up - key needs some effort to put inserted. This is the same with all keys for this lock. Keys don't appear damaged or bent.

Some have suggested using graphite however I wonder if the barrel or whole lock just need replacing?

How difficult would this be to replace? If I purchase the same brand and type, is it just a simple removal and replace job?

20150719_104642.jpg 20150719_104651.jpg 20150719_104658.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is a nightlatch of traditional yale style. It will usually prevent the door blowing open in strong winds but is insecure and will not inconvenience a burglar at all.

The keyhole looks slightly damaged, at the top where the pins are. It might be that someone has tried to use a copy key that was a poor fit, or it might be that someone has tried to use a bumping or raking tool to break in.

You can fit a new yale-type cylinder of any brand easily enough.

If this door gives admittance to your home, I would suggest supplementing it with a British Standard mortice lock, and using it.

There's a good chance it would be a straight swop without the need for anything but the tiniest bit of work. If it's possible to use an alternative lock or even have someone stay there it might even bean idea to remove the lock and take it with you when you go to get a replacement.
Two small things you may encounter are , firstly , the pins that pass from one side ( inside) of the door to the other might need adjusting to the correct length . They normally have blank areas of thread to make it easier. Secondly you may find that the keep , the bit that fits to the frame , might need a little bit of paring away of the timber to fit or alternatively a bit of filling around it depending on how the shape or size of the new one compares to the original.
As I say pretty straight forward , if you are worried make sketches or take photographs as you go along removing the lock so if you feel you've got something wrong you have a record to fall back on.

Thanks for the replies.

There are two locks on the door: One is a British Standard type lock that works fine. The second lock is the one we wish to repair/replace.

The current lock is a Eurospec (E*S) brand. The front of the lock has a door pull.

It seems that I could buy any brand and it could be a straight swap (no need for drilling holes etc)? And I take it, I buy the full kit rather than just a barrel?

For example - do I just need this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eurospec-...hash=item336e318a65:m:mwEmxOGW5Rcbu6sHgkB-V3A

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You describe difficulty inserting the key. So the only part you need to change is the cylinder, not the case and keep.

Look at the video you posted about this lock in July.

Agreed , it'll be a straight swop just replacing the cylinder. You will have to remove the lock on the inside to give you access to the screws but there will be no need to touch the mounting plate screwed to the inside of the door. The finger pull is simply a separate piece that the cylinder fits through and holds in place so no worries there either.

Try the graphite. Just a bit of ordinary soft pencil lead scraped onto a bit of paper and tapped onto the key as you push it in. Worth a go and sometimes the results are amazing. Don't be tempted to use oil or "wet" lucricants. It works for a bit but attracts dirt or something and eventually makes it worse.

Thanks. I will try the graphite in the interim however for the cost of a new cylinder and to limit any security issue I am now keen to change it.

I have located the same Eurospec brand online, but will any standard rim cylinder fit? I am assuming that the ring is separate and I can retain our current door pull? (The current ring/pull is separate.)

20160201_130305 (Large).jpg 20160201_130452 (Large).jpg

This is normal?

Yale-1109-standard-5-pin-cylinder.jpg

For example the X5 is pictured as one component but assume screws and ring will fit our door?
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/cylinders/X5-Rim-Cylinder/

Don't spray WD40 in it, it will eventually just clog up. Try rubbing a pencil all over the key and if that seems to help then invest in some locksmiths graphite and squirt it in the lock, failing that you just need to replace the cylinder, undo the two screws on the latch (edge of door) and remove the latch. Everything else should be pretty self explanatory from there on in, you may need to cut down the turning pin on the new latch but will be able to reuse the existing fixing bolts and pull.
Again don't go squirting anything wet in it will eventually clog up again, and certainly don't do what I did when I was about 14 or 15, lubed the lock with olive oil, in the winter it solidified and the lock wouldn't open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back