how easy to add a toilet to a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new house has a separate upstairs toilet and a bathroom with just a sink and a bath in it.

The bathroom has enough space to add a toilet and i am thinking of putting one in so we have 2 toilets.

With the bath and sink plumbing is it likely to be a straightforward job?

The sink and bath discharge into a drainpipe into an open drain not a soil pipe. The separate toilet is at the back and goes inot a soil pipe

Sponsored Links
you know the answer then ;)
you need to connect the new bog to the foul waste

I guess that the new bog needs to be connected my question is (not being a plumber) how big a job is it?

if the downstairs outflow is directly under the upstairs then its relativly easy
if it round a corner or underground it gets more difficult :cry:

Sponsored Links
the toilet is soil pipe is at the back of the house the bathroom drainpipe is to the side of the house.

there is a ground floor outside loo sort of underneath the bathroom but futher back

It may be possible to utilise the existing gulley that accepts the bath and basin wastes to use as a drain for a new stack to serve the proposed W.C. (You will need to check with Building control at the council that they will allow you to do this.)

Otherwise its a new run from proposed stack position to nearest foul drain. There may be need to install a manhole where the existing or new pipe joins the sewer if there isnt a chamber there already.

Saniflo is another option but this will require a discharge connection to an existing stack or sealed drain.

so its not exactly straightforward :(

in my old house the bath and toilet were in the bathroom and both drained into a soil pipe

Any chance of a diagram showing existing and proposed W.C. positions? Any ideas of where drains run would be handy too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back