Builder or Plumber?

markie said:
A plumber can knock through the wall no probs

Shouldn't holes be drilled with a diamond core drill to avoid weakening the structure?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I saw the damage inflicted on a wall when a customer was having a kicthen revamped, and the walls were chased using a hammer drill and a chisel. from the cracks in the living room, you could see the size of the blocks the wall was made from. :eek:

Stitch drilling done properly is very neat and doesn't damage structure. Many walls 3ft thick stone walls have to be taken apart stone by stone and rebuilt around the pipe.

And I don't have a toy drill it's a Hilti dd140, when the last one go tstolen I bought a replacement imediately, but not all walls suit coring, though it can be done, it isn't the only way through a wall, and not always the best.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
markie said:
A plumber can knock through the wall no probs

Shouldn't holes be drilled with a diamond core drill to avoid weakening the structure?
markie, Agile is correct of course, but I wasn't talking about holes through walls. The new stack pipe mentioned in the OP would be crossing floors. It might well be doing this in the corner of a room adjacent to an outside wall - the kind of place where you wouldn't be surprised to find joist hangers and other potential obstructions. Unless a plumber's insurance covers him/her for work that might affect the building structure, it's often best to pass off some aspects of the work.

Many plumbers have done enough building work to know what's what, but many haven't, and instead have a friendly builder whom they can tow along when necessary, in the same way that many tow along a roofer/sparky/trench digger/tiler etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back