How fill a cracking ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm ready to attack the bathroom in our new place.

As you can see from the photos, I have a ceiling with many cracks although for the most part the paint work is fine. My wife's Dad started stripping the loose paint from the ceiling and he said that I just have to open up the cracks, fill them with filler and skim the uneven areas and paint.
He's not a pro so I thought I'd seek some advice here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is the loft right above this? If so, how full is it?

Over-loaded lofts can cause cracks in cielings. It's easily done considering they're not designed to be load bearing and can often contain more junk than a bedroom.

Once the cause of cracking is solved, open and fill with onecoat plaster of easyfill, and sand.

And just because I've had it fed to me so much, you may want to get it re-skimmed.

Fubar.

Thanks for the response. We're in a block of flats...so no loft. What easyfill made of? I'm in France and I've no idea what the stuff is called in french.

Cheers

I'm in France and I've no idea what the stuff is called in french.

"Eet is, 'ow you say, eesifill"

Sorry but just feeling in that kinda mood today.

Also:
Decorator:"You've got cracking ceilings missus"
Lady householder (with heavy Liverpuddlian accent):"Oh ta very much like!"

Sponsored Links
easy fill is a very fast setting plaster. It's a cross between plaster and filler and in the UK is found in the plastering isle. It comes in a variaty of setting speeds, such as 45 mins, 90 mins... etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back