how hard to get permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick question,
how hard would it be to get planning consent to build a granny annex at the rear of my property,
would it be a good idea to build a good quality log cabin
to use as a annex, ?????
thanks

Sponsored Links
johnad said:
how hard would it be to get planning consent to build a granny annex at the rear of my property,

as hard as it for anyone on here to tell you

ask them not us

planning are granting more brown land building than ever these days, though the building in question has to be in keeping with neighbouring buildings.
log cabin?
can the parking at the property cope?
will the build be an eye sore?
will the drains cope.
any highway interference?
these are the questions that planning will be asking.

Assuming your talking about an extension rather than a separate building, it won’t be any more difficult than PP for a conventional extension; you just have to follow procedure & comply with building regulations like everyone else. Much depends on the size & location of any extension, how it alters the external appearance of the property & if it has a detrimental affect on your neighbour’s rights; that’s an emotional thing & they will probably object anyway but it doesn’t mean they necessarily have grounds for refusal. With few exceptions, you have the right to extend your property as long as you follow the rules.

You can employ a planning consultant but this is expensive so your first port of call should be to go & visit your local council & speak to a planning officer. Explain what you want to do, ideally with some sketches & they will advise on the likelihood of success or tell you how to achieve this. To most peoples surprise these people are generally very helpful, it’s not their job to prevent you extending or building, merely to ensure it’s done within the regulations. Re the log cabin – nice idea but you will still need PP & comply with building regs if it’s to be a habitable dwelling. It’s easier to achieve this with bricks & mortar & the result lasts longer. Also have a look here for useful information. www.communities.gov.uk/

Sponsored Links
If other properties in your area have been granted simular extensions/outbuildings then good chance yours will to, have a look about see what people have added and copy :)

Generally a rear extension will always get permission, They have rules on how far back you can go without planning permission (each council seems to be different).

Of about 300 applications I have made for rear extensions, not one has been refused.

Back of house, can't see it, what do we care? (Within reason of course!)

Swiss Tony said:
Generally a rear extension will always get permission, They have rules on how far back you can go without planning permission (each council seems to be different).

Of about 300 applications I have made for rear extensions, not one has been refused.

Back of house, can't see it, what do we care? (Within reason of course!)

LOL. You should have a go in birmingham, the planners can be a bloody nightmare for even the most seemingly straightforward job

Most authorities will encourage building a granny flat though, as long as there is sufficient room and its design is in keeping with the area. I'm not sure how good a log cabin will fit into an urban setting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back