Split water supplies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question for anyone who may know the legal implications, Sister in Law owned a large detached house, and a double garage with Granny flat over the top alongside. Such was the size of the plot, she has split the 2, and sold the house. The annex was also for sale, plan is for it to be demolished and a new build put on the site. That sale has fallen through, but she has another buyer who wishes to live in the annex, possibly whilst they build a property behind, before demolishing.

I have just discovered, (she tells me), the water supply for the annex is tee'd off from the house, but she's not sure where.... She wants me to fit a 'sub meter' on the incoming supply to the annex, saying that will determine their (the annex's) usage, and then the guy in the house, (where both properties supply now goes though his meter), can determine what the annex has used and bill them for their part of the cost!

I have tried explaining to her its a non starter, connection from the house needs finding and capping at her expense, and a new connection for the annex put in from the road. She's not having it though, wants it sorted cheaply and the annex sold. I can see it ending up in the Courts if she's not careful.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
The retail unit adjacent to my cottage is sipploed with water from my meter. Previously the retaill unti and my cottage were owned by the shopkeeper who lived in the cottage . He sold them separately in 2011. With the agreement of the new owner of the retail unit I fitted a sub meter and charge them the same per cubic meter as I pay. None of this was formally set out in the contracts of sale. It should have been. Eventually it may be that the retail unit arrange for their own supply.

The water company were asked about the arrangement and provided I do not make a profit from the resale of their water they have no objection.

I can see no problem in what your sister in law is suggesting as a temporary measure until the annex is demolised and the supply to the nwe build(s) is installed.

That said talk to your local water company to ensure they have no objections.

Such an arrangement as is being suggested would need to be detailed in the paperwork for the sale, and a legal contact would need to be drawn up and signed by both the owner of the house and the new owner of the annexe. By the time SIL has paid you to fit a meter (which will need to be of a type approved for billing purposes, IE expensive) and paid a solicitor to draw up an acceptable contract for the water billing, she'll end up spending as much as she would have done if she'd just had a new supply put in

Sponsored Links
Thanks Muggles. Problem seems to be, although the guy in the house is aware the annex is supplied from his property, he was under the assumption it was not going to be occupied. I don't know if she's spoken to him regarding the new neighbours paying for their share or not, but if I was in his shoes I'd be telling her to get stuffed!

I am seeing her tomorrow night, will try and talk her into having a new supply put in to the annex and arranging for the existing supply to be cut off at the house, otherwise I suspect this is going to end up costing her a lot more long term.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back