moving a supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I have a house with an attached granny annexe

both have separate overhead supplies

the meter boxex are on the annexe outside wall

Now i have built a new house next to the annexe ( 3 ft away) but the meter box on the new house will be approx 30 -35 mtrs as it is the other side of the building

the electric company want 6500 to run a cable from the pole in the road (50 mtrs) to the new house meterbox with me doing all the groundwork!!

I wanted to move the supply to the annexe to the new house and then feed the annexe (which is only 3 rooms) from the main house supply

but the supplier wont do that and insists on installing a new supply underground

therefore what i would like to do (i currently have a temp 80A cable supply running from the annexe to the new house, is to run a 100A cable from the annexe to the new house by pinning to the wall of the new house

this will be a run of around 40 mtrs. to the meter box on the new house and i propose to run the cable through the meter box to the consumer unit so that at a later date if the power company gets more reasonable the cable can then be cut and a meter installed .

In the meantime there is no problem (for me) in having the meter box for the new house on the old annexe wall

given the 40mtr run what power/voltage drop is likely and what size cable is recommended .

i can either run from the consumer side of the meter or remove the meter feed from the annexe consumer unit and join the cables inside the loft of the annexe then run to the new house

Sponsored Links
the electric company want 6500 to run a cable from the pole in the road (50 mtrs) to the new house meterbox with me doing all the groundwork!!
Did that come as a surprise?

but the supplier wont do that and insists on installing a new supply underground
It's his - he can insist on what he likes.

i propose to run the cable through the meter box to the consumer unit so that at a later date if the power company gets more reasonable the cable can then be cut and a meter installed .
They won't - whatever you install will be permanent.

given the 40mtr run what power/voltage drop is likely and what size cable is recommended .
http://web.archive.org/web/20080213151445/http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.pdf

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

i can either run from the consumer side of the meter or remove the meter feed from the annexe consumer unit and join the cables inside the loft of the annexe then run to the new house
Not sure what you mean by that, but you mustn't touch cables on the supply side of the meter.

A few questions:

1) Have you asked the DNO what their requirements are for the cable?

2) How do you propose to isolate the supply to make it safe to do this work?

3) What testing do you plan to do having installed it and before energising the installation?

4) What did you tell your LABC would be the way that you would comply with Part P?

it will be the normal household load that is currently beings served by the temporary 80A cable

Sponsored Links
The EIC for the house will have a maximum demand figure on it.

I'm beginning to fear that you are out of your depth here - why don't you let the electrician who wired the new house do this work?

simples- he will not do it because he will be accountable to the supplier whereas i wont and am prepared to take responsibility at a later date if the supplier bitches about me moving the meter to the other box

on looking i think the easy way will be to take the new supply directly from the override fuse in the meter cabinet and install a new one and move the meter to the new box

i cant afford to pay them 6500 and even if i could i wouldnt

but i would also be interested in an "outside" electician doing the work for me on a no names no pack drill arrangement!!

You stupid, stupid, stupid fool. You are barking mad, and about to embark on a dangerous and criminal venture.

no, unlike an electrician who probably has a science degree in order to qualify i am totally unaware that i might electrocute myself or set fire to the place

as i said - get over yourself!!

You really must approach the person who sold you this house and tell them that they had no right to sell you a house because you are far too bloody stupid to have one

Now i have built a new house
And after complaining to the original vendor of your house you should go and see the idiot who was in charge of the new house project and give him a good slap for not having the brains to tell you that sorting out the electricity supply to it was a vital and early step in the planning, rather than leaving it to the end and just assuming that the DNO would put in a new supply for a nominal sum or that you could move it yourself.

I don't know where you found him, or how you chose him to project manage it, but he is desperately incompetent and ignorant, and really shouldn't be doing the job. You might want to take legal advice about the possibility of suing him, particularly if his staggeringly stupid oversight is going to land you in court and/or get your electricity supply cut off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back