How hard to replace the ceiling? Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Redoing my bathroom -was supposed to be a quick tidy up....but it is getting a bit out of hand...
Whole bathroom was/is a DIY bodge...and is kind of in the eaves.

Ceiling is tongue and groove wood about 4 m long and between 70cm and 180cm wide - not very big...

It has 4 downlighters in it...I'm trying to warm it up a bit and was going to make plasterboard boxes to go over them (they are in the attic)

But I have realised that 3 of them have been fitted right next to the joists max 3 cm away and 2 of these are next to the roof slope too...
Was going to make the boxes with a 10cm gap above the light ftting but on these 2 the actually roof is only 5 cm above them.

There is no reason why they couldn't be further from the joists/ roof slope - if anything they would be better placed in the room if they were- (think someone's measuring was a bit out :rolleyes: )

On a plasterboard ceiling I would move them and patch the old holes but can't see how I can do that with the tongue and groove...unless anyone has a brilliant suggestion?

I could try and make odd shaped plasterboard boxes to go over them - I only use low energy bulbs- and would remove the boxes if I sold the house...

Or the most drastic solution - How hard would it be to replace the ceiling?

If I go down this route - I'll be posting in the plastering section as well!

BTW this bathroom has a letter of comfort from building control.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Whats the purpose of the boxes?
A new plasterboard ceiling would be quick and easy to install. chamfered boards and scrim and skim just the joints and fixings, afternoons work.

Thanks...
The boxes are to try and reduce the draughts that blow through the lights...you can buy things call 'loft caps' etc that do the same thing but they're £8+ each or use clay flower pots upside down...but I have lots of bits of damaged plasterboard (from a half hearted attempt at a loft conversion by previous owner) so I thought I'd try the boxes...
A new ceiling would be that simple? ...deep breath - I guess I'll go for it
Really I should ask this on the plastering forum...do you tape the edges at the top of the walls too and should I prime the board with something before I stick lining paper up?

As this is a bathroom and you already have a T&G ceiling up there have you thought about PVC paneling on the ceiling?
Will be quicker and cleaner than plasterboard and skimming, but might cost a bit more.

You can still cut your new holes for your downlighters in the correct place and box them in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks...
The boxes are to try and reduce the draughts that blow through the lights...you can buy things call 'loft caps' etc that do the same thing but they're £8+ each or use clay flower pots upside down...but I have lots of bits of damaged plasterboard (from a half hearted attempt at a loft conversion by previous owner) so I thought I'd try the boxes...
A new ceiling would be that simple? ...deep breath - I guess I'll go for it
Really I should ask this on the plastering forum...do you tape the edges at the top of the walls too and should I prime the board with something before I stick lining paper up?
Why lining paper? you will have a perfect surface to decorate with a new ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back