Replacing plasterboard ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice?

Our ceilings on the landing and in main bedroom are sagging and cracking badly. We need to replace the plasterboard. Hubby and his Dad are suggesting that we screw new plasterboard to existing plasterboard? Is this going to be okay, or should the whole ceiling come down and new plasterboard screwed directly into the joists?
Regards Amanda

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the existing ceiling is plasterboard ? plasterboard don't normally crack. Can you not have it re-plaster? The only problem putting plasterboard on existing ceiling is finding all the joists postion and and won't be able to secure the fixing round the edge of the plasterboard which will give you hairline crack plus butting up to coving problem if you have one.You can fix plasterboard onto plasterboard with the right lenght of screw but you also have be careful not to screw into the electric cables if you miss the joist then the job get bigger ! I rather take the old ceiling down,I know it messy but easier in the long run.

Masona

It may just be the coating that's on the ceiling, some sort of Artex rubbish that has cracked, the main problem is the terrible sag, I want the job done as soon as possible as so worried it will come down on my head. New baby arriving in october, it's all a bit owrrying at present!
Amanda

Sponsored Links
If the rest of the ceiling okay,then you can out the sag section and replace with new plasterboard and re-artex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back