How long do I need to acclimatise wooden t and g floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting them from b and q or jewson,.
I'm not sure what sort of quality they will be.
Is there any supplier that is well known for good quality timber?
I don't have loads of time for them to acclimatise

Sponsored Links
Have you no local timber merchants? Knowing where you are in the UK might help someone advise you, because a lot of merchants are 1 or 2 branch operations. BTW B&Q are notorious for their "banana pine" and high prices.

I am near Stockport, I do have local timber merchants.
I was just looking at Travis perkins, where one of the floorboards has good reviews, it's redwood.

Ps I was thinking of getting 18mm boards and packing with 3mm hardboard to get to something like the old board thickness which was about 22mm.
Does that sound feasible?

Sponsored Links
I am near Stockport, I do have local timber merchants.
The one firm I've dealt with in your neck of the woods, in the past, is Portwood Timber, who used to be OK. Looking them up I see they are now part of Illingworth Ingham, a large chain. I've been on jobs where Illingworth's have supplied materials, too, and had no issues with them

If you are happy with the prices/quality you are getting from Jewsons, then great. I just wanted to warn you off B&Q who I've never rated that highly. Either way it's always worth having a second local supplier if you can

I was thinking of getting 18mm boards and packing with 3mm hardboard to get to something like the old board thickness which was about 22mm.
Does that sound feasible?
Yes. Just pin some 50mm wide rips of hardboard onto the tops of the old joists

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, it looks like I can get slightly thicker floorboards which I guess would be better, but if they are 20.5, what can I use as a spacer that's only 1.5mm?

Normally pine floorboards are in two thicknesses 22mm or 25mm. Thats a weird size 20.5mm, are you sure?

Also, you may not want to be using thinner boards than what you have now if the joist spacing is not suitable, otherwise they may be a bit bouncy.

In a house in this weather, they may want two weeks to fully acclimatise.

Thanks I cant find anywhere that sells 22mm, do you know anywhere?

In a house in this weather, they may want two weeks to fully acclimatise.
No idea where you are in the UK, @^woody^, but up here in the NW it's been rain for a week and high humidity for longer, meaning that installed boards are tending to shrink after installation rather than swell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back