How long for extractor fan timer?

Sponsored Links
You remember wrongly then.

There is nothing in the Building Regulations about fans.
Well…there is an awful lot on BR Part F.
The fan bit is all over the place. In particular to this, Part F basically says

For toilets only, ‘purge ventilation’ (an opening window/door on an external wall) meeting the requirements specified in Appendix 2 of ‘Approved Document F - Ventilation’ can instead be used to provide ventilation if security is not an issue. If this is not available then purge ventilation by one of the approved methods (a fan) is necessary.

If you have a modern fan with a ball-bearing motor and rubber mounts, that is practically inaudible, I would leave it running long enough to clear a steamy bathroom on a cold frosty night.
I note this is basic what the planning portal approved documents say, seems to make a big thing about noise of fans, and suggests heat recovery units.

Sponsored Links
upload_2021-10-8_14-11-7.png

That's it.
Edit - there are some bits about notices as well.

From The Planning Portal, if the same as mentioned by Eric:

upload_2021-10-8_14-18-0.png

and The Approved Document F (and all the others),
only the parts in shaded green are the actual Regulations:

upload_2021-10-8_14-23-54.png

Last edited:
...seems to make a big thing about noise of fans,....

and suggests heat recovery units.

horrible old fans (IME, especially Manrose) can be annoyingly loud.

But good modern fans can be very quiet, and inaudible when the bathroom door is closed, or hidden when a tap or shower running.

Some people have an aversion to fans, possibly because they have suffered a noisy one in the past.

I've used a heat recovery unit, and because it blows air in/air out, it does not create suction in the room. This means steam and odours can diffuse throughout the house, so I found it unsuitable for a kitchen or bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back