How long for wood to dry...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

when I first moved into my property I had six huge Leylandii in my back garden all of which were fairly close together.

I had then cut down and stumps ground. The stumps were not ground out sufficiently.

I hired a digger last weekend and dug the roots out. The root bowls of the six trees were intertwined and huge such that my 3 tonne digger could only roll them and not lift them. I dug a deep hole and buried two large root bowls and used the digger to remove all the roots I could possibly remove.

I now have a stack of roots I wish to burn. Most are between 2 and 4 inches however there are many larger bits.

I have stacked this in the middle of my garden and covered with tarpaulin to dry out.

How long should I wait before burning?

Sponsored Links
As well as keeping rain off them you need to allow air to get to them to remove water vapour from the stack, trapping it under the tarpaulin will delay, even prevent drying

Assuming this is to dispose of them and not for burning in a log burner to heat the house.

If you have access to some dry timber, old pallets are good, then create a small fire with pallets and a small layer of roots on top. Then when there is a core of hot embers slowly add more roots and allow that layer to dry and start to smoulder before adding more.

Can't you either take them to the tip, or hire a chipper / mucher and turn them into woodchips?

Leylandii is very resinous, and ideally needs to be seasoned for a couple of years before being used as fuel in a stove or fire. It's good burning when seasoned.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back