how long to leave new plaster before decorating help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
i have recently boarded and skimmed a wall in one of my rooms, my question is how long do i leave it before a can put wall paper on it and would i be better painting it with some emulsion first any advice would very welcome
cheers

Sponsored Links
wait until all the dark pink/grey plaster has turned pale then your ready to decorate. decorators used to "size" the walls prior to wallpapering using a solution of wallpaper paste as a primer. i guess you can seal the plaster with either a solution of diluted pva or emulsion usually 50% water 50% emulsion. best to ask the guys at decorating forum for confirmation though!

Emulsion gives a better surface IMHO. Mist coat first diluted with water, then at least one finish coat. This levels up any colour differences, especially if there are filler patches, and enables the eye to spot any surface defects so you can fix it before papering. It stops the absorbency of the plaster grabbing your pasted paper. It doesn't build up or come off like size, and is easy to wash clean next time. And if you don't get round to papering for a while it looks decent.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back