How long to paint an interior doorframe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only ask because I'm wondering if I'm just extremely slow at this, or if it's just as long as it takes.
Yesterday, I sanded down a doorframe and gave it a coat of dulux primer/undercoat. This process took the best part of two hours. I left it to dry overnight.
This afternoon, I started top-coating (Johnstone's oil gloss) at 1pm. I finished at about 5:30pm and I've still a bit to do on one side of the frame.

Is this ridiculously long? I think I am being quite fussy and meticulous, but I don't want runs or specks of dirt in the finish, so I'm being quite anal about it all.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks regarding the painting of door frames? How long should it take, on average? I've got SIX more to do in the flat and I'm not going to be finished before 2009 if I keep going at this rate.

Many thanks!

Stu

Sponsored Links
That's just plain daft. The longer you take to paint the doors the more the paint solvent dries out and you get more and more brush strokes. If you want a pro job apply the paint with a mini roller and simply drag your brush (with just the weight of the brush) over the paint to remove the stipple - then walk away and allow the surface tension to flatten, then you'll get doors like 10 Downing Street. Speed is everything with gloss paint. You nearly always have to add a little white spirit too to stop it dragging.

Each door should take about 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).

hah hah ! :D that's a bit of a difference! I guess I'll just put it down to being a complete amateur and only having painted 2 door frames before (I can't remember those taking as long though!). I will look into picking up a mini roller for the flat bits of the frame and see how I get on with that and the others.

thanks!

Stu

you are using a 50mm brush, not an artist's brush?

IMO cleaning the roller wil take longer than painting the frame with a brush.

Sponsored Links
That's just plain daft. The longer you take to paint the doors the more the paint solvent dries out and you get more and more brush strokes. If you want a pro job apply the paint with a mini roller and simply drag your brush (with just the weight of the brush) over the paint to remove the stipple - then walk away and allow the surface tension to flatten, then you'll get doors like 10 Downing Street. Speed is everything with gloss paint. You nearly always have to add a little white spirit too to stop it dragging.

Each door should take about 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).
well said Joe ;) but I`d still use JUST a brush on the frame ;) a Purdy man-made bristle one

An internal door casing with architrave either side should take no longer than about 5 - 10 mins. An internal door should take no longer than about 15 minutes per side if it is a panelled door. A flush panel door done with a 4inch roller takes only about 2 minutes after the edges and around the lock/handle is done first with a brush .

As above...and that with a couple of stellas for lunch!...hic!

Don't feel too bad, stu. You're not the only one. I have recently redecorated the downstairs and found that it took me about 1.5 hours for an architraved doorframe (average across 3 doors and a window).

Must be great to be able to do it in 5-10 minutes as quoted here. I just know that I'll never be able to do that :)

thanks to joe90 for recommending the roller. I picked up a Harris foam 4" roller a couple of days ago and have managed to do 2 doors in an hour or so and the finish is absolutely wonderful! It feels like glass!
Still taking forever to do the door frames though!!!!!!!
Getting there.. slowly but surely the place is starting to look great.
Cheers all

stu

Don't feel too bad, stu. You're not the only one. I have recently redecorated the downstairs and found that it took me about 1.5 hours for an architraved doorframe (average across 3 doors and a window).

Must be great to be able to do it in 5-10 minutes as quoted here. I just know that I'll never be able to do that :)

Yes you will, pratice makes perfect :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back