how many sockets on a single spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed most of a kitchen to find that there are to be an extra 2 appliances under the counter. I've already installed a fused spur to a double socket to cater for 2 appliance (Fr Frzr) but now need 2 more sockets, one for dishwashe and one for wash machine. Can I get away with plugging in a four way extension to the spur and plugging everything into that?

If not what can be done with least effort?

Sponsored Links
Can I get away with plugging in a four way extension to the spur and plugging everything into that?
My - what a quality piece of elegant engineering that would be - clearly you take real pride in your work... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And do you really think that a fridge, freezer, dishwasher and washing machine can all be run through one 13A fuse?

If not what can be done with least effort?
Extend the socket circuit to provide properly supplied outlets capable of supporting all the appliances.

Ok - sarcasm appreciated.

It was a bit of a joke.

The problem is more that the sockets that will supply the appliances will all be inaccessible behind cupboards. Should I give each appliance a fused switched spur of its own? Is it ok to install sockets on the ring where they won't be accessible without providing accessible isolation?

Should I install a couple of surface mount double socket within an adjacent cupboard (as part of the kitchen ring) and extend the flex's on the appliances to reach??

I'm not a spark, but finally it will be chekd n tested. Can you help me avoid further work n disruption....

What is the ruling on sockets in cupboards? I'd have thought you'd still need the isolation above, but could be wrong. There's one in my kitchen cupboard powering the spark ignitor on the hob, always been there though!

Sponsored Links
A bit like this then....

RIMG0377-1.jpg

The thing is there's no real definition of "accessible". If you have to pull the appliance out then that's clearly no good, but many people regard a socket in an adjoining base unit which can be accessed by opening a door and moving aside all the tins of beans, pilchards, foie gras and that jar of curry paste you brought back from holiday that makes your eyes bleed if you so much as sniff it, as perfectly OK.

Other solutions, (better IMO) are:

DP switch(es) on the socket circuit(s) above the worktop(s), supplying sockets behind the appliances.

FCU(s) on the socket circuit(s) above the worktop(s), supplying sockets that take unfused plugs (e.g. 15A BS546 or Schuko).

As above, but with a dedicated appliance radial to a grid, DP switch & fuse modules, instead of the FCUs.

I thought about putting in an FCU to a dbl socket for the fridge and freezer, one for the washing machine and another for the dishwasher but finally it all felt like too much hard work.

So going back to plan A ( plugging in a four-way extension), Ban all sheds was right of course - I can't run all those appliances from a single FCU with a 13amp fuse so I'm going to replace the fuse with an inch of nail. I reckon that would pass the current without melting and I wont have to make a mess....

Thanks for all your help folks...

Stick to plumbing. Your stand up comedy routine is somewhat lacking....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back