How many times should I try to ignite the pilot light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My daughter's just moving into first house. The gas and leccy is on meters (boo) and it all ran out the other day (she's only a student) - she sorted money into both meters, but now the boiler won't come on. The gas supply is ok as the fire works.
The boiler is a glowworm fuelsaver MkII.
I tried the instructions on the inside of the brown bit at the bottom, ie turned thermostat to off, turned off at the wall. Held in the grey square button on the right and tried the ignition button on the left several times.
Nothing happened. Stood on the draining board so that I could see into the pilot light hall (I am not very tall and it is high up on the kitchen wall)
I tried this 3 or four times, leaving at least three minutes in between as instructed.
Everything worked fine before meters ran out, there is now money in both electricity and gas, lights are working, control thingy works (when boiler power switched on), gas fire works with it's electronic ignition.
How many times should I try pressing the ignition button? Am I giving in too soon? Any advice to a true thicko would be appreciated please. (i.e. words of one syllable re boilers!)
thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Well befor the metre ran out the pilot light was lit.
Maybe the ignition never worked.
Does it spark?

Press it as many times as you like. Although if it hasnt lit after a minute or so then it probably wont at all.

If you cant see a spark its probably shorting or the piezo unit is faulty.

If you dont have any history on the boiler then might be worth getting it and the system checked over aswell as fixing the fault by a corgi chap.

Thanks guys. I think it is sparking, but I'm not there at the moment. She is thinking of taking out the BG monthly plan and then calling them in! She's only partially moved in at the mo, and is paranoid about gas anyway so does this seem a good idea?
thanks again

Sponsored Links
sorry, I meant I think it is sparking, but as I am not there at the moment I can't check! I'll have another look tomorrow ...

simple, call the landlord. after all, he is the cheap git that put the key meter in
and ask for the gas safety certificate whilst you are at it. compulsory to have one and compulsory to give copy to tenant

Thanks so much for your reply. The only problem is that she is the landlord (I suppose) since house was purchased from a legacy. Guy bought it from has done a runner in that there's no forwarding address, and most of what he told us anyway about the property is not true. I guess we will go with the BG fifteen quid a month solution as it will allay her paranoia about gas and allow her to sleep at night!
thanks for your responses guys
best wishes
L :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back