How much for a tiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How much should I expect to pay for a tiler (labour only) per m2 or per day? (west midlands) :confused:

I have a bathroom (Floor to ceiling) and floor plus kitchen tiles (just between worktops and wall cupboards, and kitchen floor.

and how long would it take a tiler to tile approx 20m2 for bathroom walls (30 x 60 tiles) and floor 7m2 (30 x 30 tiles) :?:

Also would I have to replaster the walls first, as the tiles have taken some of the old plaster off?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

thanks

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Depends how good the walls are as to whether you need to replaster. What I will say though is that for 600mm x 300mm tiles, your walls need to be very flat. If they aren't and you need them plastering, make sure you get a tiler that can plaster and get him to sort the walls so that he's happy to tile onto them. I've had to tile after they've had a "plasterer" in. Often the walls looks lovely and smooth but when you put a straight edge on it it's miles out. Your tiler won't thank you if he turns up to do the job after you've had it plastered and finds the walls are out.

Regarding costs...... it depends how much cutting is involved. Is the bathroom empty or will the tiler need to cut around the basin and toilet?
Is there a border tile or strip? Window reveal tiled? Window ledge tiled or wood?
I doubt you'll get a price over the phone, he'll have to come round for a butcher's to weigh the job up. No one really prices per metre unless it's a large open space.
You make no mention of the area to be tiled in the kitchen and what tiles.
You'll be looking at around £120-£160 a day plus materials.

Thanks for that.

The shower tray, bath, sink and toilet will all be in - the plumber said that he fits the bathroom and then the tiler tiles afterwards.
Window ledge is PVCU and window is the width of the room, so just needs tiling from floor to ceiling (Over exisiting tiles).

No borders or anything in the bathroom or kitchen.

Kitchen will be 11'6 long - and will only be tiling down both sides of kitchen between wall cabinet and wortops. will be using tiles approx 10cm x 10cm and then the floor 11'6 x 10'7.

Thanks again

Ideally you want to get the plumber to fit the bath and shower tray, then get the tiler in, then get the plumber back to do the toilet and basin.
You're tiling over existing tiles? tut tut.

I would have thought about £200 to tile the splashbacks and £280 for the floor (plus materials). But they're Lancashire prices - we're dear up 'ere tha'nos? ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Yes I know we should try to get the old tiles off - but they are stuck firm!! I think they are the original ones from when the house was built 35 years ago!!!! I think we will do more harm than good chiselling them off?

Thanks for the advise gcol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back