How much to pay for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone go the going rate for tiling pro tiler. I have been quoted £20 a metre, + materials. Does that sound about right?

Wolfboy

please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
what is the *Pro Tiler* fixing ,
what kind of tiles ceramics.... ?
+ the sizes ?
size of walls/areas .....?
is the substrate perfect or require work ?

its very cheap tbh ......for a Top class Tiler ...;)

btw this is for EVERYONE here ,
Always get recomendations ,if poss
if not ....
most good tilers will be booked up an you may need to wait a week or two
be wary of guys sat at home , why arent they busy ?

get the written estimate ,
with full info ,
ie payment terms an guarantees ....
He should offer to show his portfolio of past works an offer you phone contacts from past customers ...
without needing to be asked ..!!!

just some advice .........
as all jobs can be different ,
If he advices you need the wall *tanked* or reboarded ,accept his knowledge ..
If he stresse that these things need doing to support a good substrate (what the tile sits on !)
If you decline he may have grounds to not complete/finish the job ...as the tiles could all fall off .....leaving him liable .

Most Good tilers will identify these bad substrates on the site visit , other times behind old tiles ,he cannot see obviously...
its just fate ...;)

hope this helps .....

Sponsored Links
As a pro myself, I get calls frequently asking how much I charge per square metre. The answer depends on so many variables, so I never give a price over the phone, I always view the project first. I would be wary of cheap tilers. Quality tilers will charge more, be able to supply references and will probably save you money in the long run by doing a proper job.

Tony the Tiler

without appearing to be disrespectful ..
*As a pro *
was it a career change course ?

just been reading down the board ....thats all ?

Tony the Tiler said:
As a pro myself, I get calls frequently asking how much I charge per square metre. The answer depends on so many variables, so I never give a price over the phone, I always view the project first. I would be wary of cheap tilers. Quality tilers will charge more, be able to supply references and will probably save you money in the long run by doing a proper job.

I was always getting asked over the phone how much would this job or that job cost....ive even had people ask for prices for painting outsides!

I dont take em serious..they probably want a really cheap job done or are half hearted about doing anything anyway.

I always tell people its really unprofessional to quote over the phone..and if they get say three telephone quotes and go for the cheapest they may still be paying over the odds...the contractor will probably bump up the price to cover him/herself...and if they finished ahead of time they wont be saying to the customer 'oh heres 150 quid back we got it done early quicker than we thought'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back