How much should I pay ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I spent today doing a bit of budgeting and think what I've been quoted for a full re-wire could perhaps be a little excessive. Here is the quotation for a 2 bedroom maisonette:

Kitchen & Lounge

9 double sockets
boiler spur
cooker supply (6mm for hob)
spur and extractor connection
11nr fire rated down lights
2nr dimmer switches
1nr heat detector
aerial outlet plate

Hallway

2 double sockets
2 lights to be replaced with pendants
2 two-way switches each end of hall
1nr heat detector
1nr smoke detector

Bedroom 1

3 double sockets
4nr spot lights
1nr dimmer switch
aerial outlet plate

Bedroom 2

3 double sockets
4nr spot lights
1nr dimmer switch
aerial outlet plate

Bathroom

4 spot lights
1nr dimmer switch
extractor fan and isolator

Porch Area

1nr integrated PIR light

NEW 10 way dual fuse board
bonding of water and gas + certification

I've been quoted £3650 incl VAT, but think I'm overpaying.

I live in the South West. [/b]

Sponsored Links
It all boils down to labour really.

How much time it will take.

Is the flat full of furniture?
Is it inhabited?
Is the loft space full?
Is the ground floor suspended construction?
Is it a conduit system?
Are the walls rendered?

These factors and more determine the difficulty and therefore the time that is needed to complete the job.

Sponsored Links
Is the flat full of furniture? NO, EMPTY
Is it inhabited? NO
Is the loft space full? EMPTY
Is the ground floor suspended construction? YES
Is it a conduit system? NOT SURE
Are the walls rendered? NO

Both floors have been stripped out, all that is required is for the floor boards to be lifted in places

Get a couple more quotes from recommended sparks.

Thinking about it. One problem is the work I want started next Monday and it could be difficult to get another 1-2 quotes in that time. I'll have to though.

If I'm honest I think I'm over paying by over a grand.

I reckon this is about £2900 worth of work at most ... It's a Victorian house with suspended timber, everything is stripped out

Is this a top floor maisonette, ground floor or what? Remember that your dwelling itself will have been constructed as a fire compartment to prevent the spread of fire to the other maisonettes in the building.

This may limit, or prevent the use of certain devices (downlights, extractor ducts, etc) that may peirce the fire barrier unless proper precautions are taken and the correct fittings used.

I reckon this is about £2900 worth of work at most ... It's a Victorian house with suspended timber, everything is stripped out

£2900 plus VAT comes out at £3480 which is about the number you have been quoted.
I, too, think that this is a reasonable price.

I rather think you've left it too late to look for a cheaper, reliable, registered electrician who can start a full rewire in a week's time :rolleyes:
Do you think they sit around with nothing to do? I don't have any space in my work diary until August.

£2900 plus VAT comes out at £3480 which is about the number you have been quoted.
I, too, think that this is a reasonable price.

I rather think you've left it too late to look for a cheaper, reliable, registered electrician who can start a full rewire in a week's time :rolleyes:
Do you think they sit around with nothing to do? I don't have any space in my work diary until August.

£2900 incl VAT I was thinking..

No don't expect an early start and can postpone the job if the price is right. Just got another guy to quote the job and waiting on it. I'd be looking to pay £3000 incl VAT at most if possible

Is this a top floor maisonette, ground floor or what? Remember that your dwelling itself will have been constructed as a fire compartment to prevent the spread of fire to the other maisonettes in the building.

This may limit, or prevent the use of certain devices (downlights, extractor ducts, etc) that may peirce the fire barrier unless proper precautions are taken and the correct fittings used.

It's a three storey terraced house. The basement is a self contained 1 bedroom flat, the two floors above are the mastionette, and the ground floor landing is fire proofed. Fire proofing entire ceilings wasn't specified. All downlights will be fire rated

What quality fittings are included, can have a major bearing on cost, I would be searching for a non vat registered sparky too, but TBH it sounds a realistic price to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back