How much should it cost. Advise Please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am novice in DIY stuff and would appreciate any advise suggestion on the below.

I have recently purchased a Studio flat and want to decorate it before moving in…How much should this cost me to hire someone to do all of the below...

Painting all the Walls
Painting the Ceiling
10 Sq Meter Bedrooms - Laminate Flooring (Underlay, Flooring and Trims)
Kitchen - 4 Sq Meter - Vinyl Floor Tiling
Kitchen - 1 Sq Meter - Wall Tiling
Bathroom - 3 Sq Meter - Vinyl Floor Tiling
6 Doors - Undercoat and Painting
Changing 2 Door Locks (Rim Automatic + Mortise)
Changing Ball Valve in the Cold Water Tank
Changing 1 Bulb Holder
Fixing the slide door in the bedroom - Slightly Broken - No parts needed
Changing Mixer Taps for the Bath.

Any Advise/ Suggestion greatly appreciated…

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Painting all the Walls
2. Painting the Ceiling
3. 10 Sq Meter Bedrooms - Laminate Flooring (Underlay, Flooring and Trims)
4. Kitchen - 4 Sq Meter - Vinyl Floor Tiling
5. Kitchen - 1 Sq Meter - Wall Tiling
6. Bathroom - 3 Sq Meter - Vinyl Floor Tiling
7. 6 Doors - Undercoat and Painting
8. Changing 2 Door Locks (Rim Automatic + Mortise)
9. Changing Ball Valve in the Cold Water Tank
10. Changing 1 Bulb Holder
11. Fixing the slide door in the bedroom - Slightly Broken - No parts needed
12. Changing Mixer Taps for the Bath.
1. Do it yourself. Probably a couple of days work - think about how much you earn per day and whether its as skilled a job as decorating.
2. Again, a good days work.
3. Do it yourself? Laminate flooring aint hard.
4. 5. 6. again, DIY jobs.
7. At least 3 visits required, a few hours work each time. Why 6 doors in a studio flat? I have a 2 bed semi and I have 6 doors.
8. A diy job. B&Q stock a wide variety of locks. For lock cylinders (that take flat keys) of obscure sizes, they are sold online in various security levels. Or use a locksmith (at least £100 to fit parts at £30 max). Ask in the doors and windows section for more details on locks if you want. We're here to help. You might need to post pictures of your locks but not the keys ;)
9. Why? You'll need a plumber for this. Whats wrong with it?
10. You'll need an electrician, or do it yourself. replacing one part for a similar one is not notifiable.
11. If no parts needed, why not do it yourself. Whats wrong with it?
12. Plumber job. An hour job. But expect to be charged half a day.

I just bought my own house, and most of these jobs I have done myself.

Changed locks, redecorated top to bottom two rooms, working on the rest. Had an electrician rewire the place, but I changed a couple of lights after he left. I altered the plumbing under the kitchen sink as it had been done wrong. I fixed two new radiators to the walls, but an using a plumber to connect them to the system, as I dont have a blowlamp to alter the wiring. Replaced a fireplace. Built a cupboard round the electrics in the lounge.

If I lived in london I'd be even more inclined to do it myself, due to the cost of tradesmen.

Next year I'm replacing the kitchen. Plan to do the cabinetry, tiling, worktops etc myself.

Your choice!

#12. an hour if you`re lucky - I`ve spent a day before now with an angle grinder - had to desstroy taps to get them out - another one ,I had to make up a extended spanner just to get on the nut :rolleyes: I NEVER used to quote a price for that job - just did an Agile- and said I`ll turn up for £x. and it`ll be £Y per half hour .

Sponsored Links
I think we've all been caught by the ball-cock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back