how much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am having a bit of a problem with the cost of electricty actually im trying to prove a point to my flatmate on how much he uses could someone plz tell me how much each watt cost or how the electricty board mearsures it for example how much would 500w heater a month cost thanks all

james

Sponsored Links
Depends on various factors:

1. Your electricity supplier and plan
2. How often he has the heater on and for how long
3. If the heater has a thermostat
and if he does 4. what heat setting he has it on.

Your electricity is billed in killowatt hours. A killowatt hour is the amount of electricity that would be used if you used 1000 watts for an hour. These are usually just called 'Units' on your bill. So, to have the heater on for two hours uses one unit, to have it on for an hour uses half a unit and so on. Look at your electricity bill for the cost of a unit.

electricity is mesured in kilowatt hours (kwh)

if you are really too thick to figure out what that means

1 kilowatt for one hour = 1kwh
500 watt for 2 hours = 1kwh
6KW for 10 minuites = 1kwh
etc

prices vary by electricity provider and rec
here are the prices from british gas to give you an idea http://www.house.co.uk/house/PDFs/new_elec_pricing.pdf

now a 500W heater for a whole month solid day and night (very unlikely in practice) ;)
1 day=24hours
1 month=30days approx
so there are 720 hours in a moth
so in one month you will have used 360kwh if you left your heater on solid

assumeing you buy your electricity from british gas (i need figures to work with ;))

a quater is 3 months
so assuming you have no other electricity use (unlikely in practice but i need something to base the calculations on) and your use is consistant

75 of those will be at the first teir rate
285 of those will be at the secons teir rate

now assuming you are in the east midlands and on direct debit (once again this is just an example to give you a rough idea)

cost=10.645*75+5.518*285=798.375+1572.63=2371.005 pence (inc vat)
or about £24

If he's got a 500W heater on all the time, ask him for a share of the profits when he sells the crop..... :cool: ;)

Sponsored Links
Don't forget how much the 400 watt discharge lamp also uses though... You'll have to add some extra for the ballast as well...

On another note I have 100 posts. w00t

We have stupid signs up in work about switchin lights of etc by "The Energy Conservation Committee" ha ha
One that sticks in my head is " A 100Watt light bulb costs £35 a year to run"
I suppose thats if its on 24/7/365.

Hope that gives you some idea.

I'll have read of the others tomoz for ya !! :LOL: I think there's one up for a 1k.Watt heater ;)

Aletank said:
We have stupid signs up in work about switchin lights of etc by "The Energy Conservation Committee"

think about it.

Energy conservation committee, what do they do, have stickers printed that no one takes seriously, then send out said stickes, some poor sole has to afix said stickers............. for what?

a total waste of energy

There was a little friction between myself and a university flatmate about electricity: he used to leave all his stuff on all day everyday (hifi, computer, monitor, telly) so I was annoyed that he was wasting electricity by never turning anything off.

He too was annoyed: he thought I used more electricity than him because I had a more powerful hi-fi, a bigger TV, a bass amp as well as a computer and monitor. The major sore point was my pair of 500W uplighters. However, I used my electrical stuff a lot less and generally one thing at a time.

Daft really, we probably used the same amount each in the end!

James, my brother lived in a house with a pre-pay meter. His housemates claimed that he was using more electricity than them because he had a big powerful computer. Turned out the reason the leccy was disappearing so quick was because they all had 2kW fan heaters in their bedrooms that they would leave on when they went out! Gimps.

Aletank said:
We have stupid signs up in work about switchin lights of etc by "The Energy Conservation Committee" ha ha
One that sticks in my head is " A 100Watt light bulb costs £35 a year to run"
I suppose thats if its on 24/7/365.

Hope that gives you some idea.

I'll have read of the others tomoz for ya !! :LOL: I think there's one up for a 1k.Watt heater ;)

OK according to our "Energy Conservation Committee" posters - ha ha :rolleyes: A 3KW heater costs £1050 a year to run

Hope thats some helps to you ;)

Windscale.....Sellafield......God, I'm showing my age.

Just goes to show that a change of image does not always work....

securespark said:
Just goes to show that a change of image does not always work....

Yeah. Next thing you know they'll be calling the Common Market the European Economic Community or some such thing. Zut! Paf! The things those cheeky young spin doctor scamps come up with, eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back