How (not) to lock off a lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our church we have a company in to replace the light fittings in the main hall (existing ones were original '70s).

They started today so I popped in this evening to see how they got on. Here's what I found.

This is how they had locked off the power to the (bare-ended) lighting cables coming from the ceiling.

The thing is, these fittings are on a dedicated circuit... which was on at the DB!

Surely not too safe in a public building?

Colin C

Sponsored Links
to be fair though, you'd have to be up the scaffolding AND have someone turn the switches on to get a shock... :)

Sponsored Links
Unless the live was to touch the scaffolding...

And the church is open to activities every night other than Wednesdays, this hall tonight for a band practise. At least I've rigged a couple of 500W floods on the truss for house lights that will do us.

The sparkys should have at least chock block and taped the ends.

I have serious doubts about the competence of your contractor.

Frank

They're nuts!
I take it they haven't a clue that splitting neutrals might cause one of them to become live to phase voltage hence the reason we need to isolate (and make secure) the entire circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back